Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Antoine Hubert - RIP

• 31-08-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Only right we have a thread to remember him. I did not know of him myself until today. Very very sad to see and hear of an up and coming driver killed. I myself have not and am not going to watch the video of the crash as I feel that would be wrong.

RIP Antoine Hubert.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Inviere

I watched the various angles of the crash as it was breaking news, I wish I hadn't :( It was a horrific accident, and a very costly reminder to us all that beneath the very safe. predictable, and often boring appearance of open wheel racing...it's a damned dangerous sport when things go wrong.

RIP Antoine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I've had the pleasure to see some of Hubert's racing in GP3 and F2. He was a talented young man, lost too soon. Remember him as a champion. RIP Anthoine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

Desperately sad and a wake up call for anybody who thinks the sport has become too safe. Realistically something like this could happen on any circuit. Regardless it was heartbreaking to see his mother and brother holding his helmet earlier this morning during the minutes silence. Hubert was a decent driver and had 2 wins already this season in F2, Monaco and France. He certainly got up to speed in F2 faster than Mick Schumacher which is a credit to him considering the focus placed on Schumacher. The irony here is that I would not have been watching F2 at all this year if it wasn't for Schumacher's participation. Hubert was a very likeable driver and despite not being in the best team he was constantly participating in the points, he also massively outperformed his teammate this season. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

One of the primary reasons why I stopped watching F1 was that the gravel traps were replaced with concrete run off areas. Drivers would run wide and there would be absolutely no negative effect.

The removal of most gravel traps was supposed to be for safety purposes. Hubert had an accident, a bad one but it was likely he was OK from the crash. What killed him was a car that ran wide through Eu Rouge, and went full speed through the concrete run off area. Whereas if it was a gravel trap, the other driver wouldn't have been going anywhere near the speed he was at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

One of the primary reasons why I stopped watching F1 was that the gravel traps were replaced with concrete run off areas. Drivers would run wide and there would be absolutely no negative effect.

The removal of most gravel traps was supposed to be for safety purposes. Hubert had an accident, a bad one but it was likely he was OK from the crash. What killed him was a car that ran wide through Eu Rouge, and went full speed through the concrete run off area. Whereas if it was a gravel trap, the other driver wouldn't have been going anywhere near the speed he was at.

Have you ever gone through a gravel trap at speed?
    I doubt very much gravel would have made any difference in that accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭jv2000

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    How is it a wake up call? We have had a number of high profile crashes and deaths in Motorsport in the last few years. I dont think anybody has become complacent .

Perhaps this is the case for the hardcore motorsport fans however I have come across so many casual fans that do not believe there is danger there anymore. When you see crashes like Alonso's one at Melbourne a couple of years ago and the fact he walked away it is a testament to safety and you can understand where such complacency comes from. Unfortunately the Bianchi accident was such a freak accident and the fact he was alive for almost a year after meant that it did not register with most people. When you start to look at Indycar etc and the likes of the Wickens and Wheldon accidents then maybe there is an argument against complacency (even here you need to discount the oval factor). Basically from the point of the more casual fan (like the colleagues I will be talking to later today) this is a wake up call, the circumstances of Saturday's accident could occur anywhere and no amount of protective car cell/structure is going to prevent serious injury or death in such an incident unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

jv2000 wrote: »
    When you start to look at Indycar etc and the likes of the Wickens and Wheldon accidents then maybe there is an argument against complacency (even here you need to discount the oval factor).

Dario would be an non-oval example there. (I know it was the concussion, rather than the broken back was the reason behind his retirement.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,392 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11802836/juan-manuel-correa-in-critical-but-stable-condition-after-f2-crash

Bad news that Juan Manuel Correa having problems, in critical but stable condition.

Advertisement