Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat injured tail

Options
  • 31-08-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

My cat was attacked by another cat last night, he ran into the house with a little bit of blood on his tail, I checked his tail but couldnt find where exactly the injury was coming from, he is able to move his tail and doesnt yelp when its touched but he is holding it straight down at all times, even when jumping, the base of his tail is also bent upwards like he's holding the base away from himself.
    Should I be worried?

Comments

My cat was attacked by another cat last night, he ran into the house with a little bit of blood on his tail, I checked his tail but couldnt find where exactly the injury was coming from, he is able to move his tail and doesnt yelp when its touched but he is holding it straight down at all times, even when jumping, the base of his tail is also bent upwards like he's holding the base away from himself.
    Should I be worried?

Maybe it might need an X-ray at the vet’s to check for any fractures. I don’t think tail injuries are generally a huge cause of concern in themselves, so long as his legs, bladder and bowel etc are functioning. In the very worse case of a tail injury it can be amputated but the cat has to get used to living like that. If there’s a blood injury, of as much concern is potential infection. Keep an eye on him and if by tomorrow you are not happy, bring him to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Maybe it might need an X-ray at the vet’s to check for any fractures. I don’t think tail injuries are generally a huge cause of concern in themselves, so long as his legs, bladder and bowel etc are functioning. In the very worse case of a tail injury it can be amputated but the cat has to get used to living like that. If there’s a blood injury, of as much concern is potential infection. Keep an eye on him and if by tomorrow you are not happy, bring him to the vet.

Thanks, he seems to be ok, he's eating, still wants to go outside and purrs when I pet him, he's happy enough but I know cats dont really show when theyre in pain. I checked the base of his tail today and cant see any marks were he might have been injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If he was bitten by another cat, think of a cat's canines - they are needle-thin at the base. So the puncture wound(s) will be extremely small and difficult to detect until infection sets in and the wound starts to abscess.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

My cat was bitten by a cat and needed antibiotics from vet as it got a nasty infection. Any young birds caught by cats need antibiotics even if they don't have obvious wound but I'm not sure about cats being bitten. I didn't know she was bitten and I looked at her tail and it was badly infected. Vet said it was a cat bite and their mouths have a lot of bacteria that enters easily as teeth puncture skin.

If my cat was holding tail differently I would assume it is in pain and ask vets do I need to come down to be on safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

agree to err on the side of caution. As others say, infection can take a day or three to show. Keep a close eye? cat bites are filthy; many of us know that from painful experience!

• Advertisement
Advertisement