Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Rules Thread

  • 31-08-2019 1:54pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ GolfNut33


    Didn't see a rules thread so thought I'd start one.

    Incident yesterday. Hit my ball into the rough. 4 of us we're looking for it for a couple of mins before my FC found it, sitting down and not pretty. Grabbed my lobwedge and got ready to slash it back onto the fairway. Gave it a good lash and felt a funny contact. A ball squirted out 10 feet in front of me. I walked over to the ball and saw it wasn't mine. Looked back and saw my ball sitting up a few feet from where I took my last swing.

    Few points: 1. I didn't see a second ball come out. 2. It's very likely I hit two balls at the same time. 3. It's very unlikely I hit the wrong ball and just didn't see my ball where it ended up.

    Net result was I picked up and scratched the hole as I was 100% sure. Any opinions?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭ thecomedian


    Who is to say that you hit your ball first and your ball knocked the other ball out?

    This isn’t the same but similar as you had no intent on hitting the hidden ball.

    Decision 7-2/7 Practice Swing Dislodges Concealed Ball

    Q. A player makes a practice swing in the rough and dislodges a concealed ball. Is there any penalty?

    A. No. Since the player had no intention of striking the concealed ball, his swing remained a practice swing and was not a stroke. Consequently, there is no question of his having played either a practice stroke

    (Rule 7-2) or a stroke with a wrong ball (Rule 15-3).


  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭✭ Pints?


    GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Didn't see a rules thread so thought I'd start one.

    Incident yesterday. Hit my ball into the rough. 4 of us we're looking for it for a couple of mins before my FC found it, sitting down and not pretty. Grabbed my lobwedge and got ready to slash it back onto the fairway. Gave it a good lash and felt a funny contact. A ball squirted out 10 feet in front of me. I walked over to the ball and saw it wasn't mine. Looked back and saw my ball sitting up a few feet from where I took my last swing.

    Few points: 1. I didn't see a second ball come out. 2. It's very likely I hit two balls at the same time. 3. It's very unlikely I hit the wrong ball and just didn't see my ball where it ended up.

    Net result was I picked up and scratched the hole as I was 100% sure. Any opinions?

    So long as you positively identified your ball before hitting it no penalty.

    However if you just assumed it was your ball you would be penalised for wrong ball as you couldn't be absolutely sure which you hit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ dball


    Can i wear any gloves on a golf course or do I have to wear "golf gloves"

    Can i wear these? -QNrNKGEqpcmKvba10g2r2wGS-f3wPqGCLsG1XCzVIEql0mzr-tJ0-pzbwcuO-03C9fjKX0zFUp9K-iYxQC82JG_GgaoOHZkqRgfwdK7SnIjeHVKPIXitQm7BKWjUDJ2E2-7ivcxbghCYhVMKIiev8RxnD1nRlQaDuqTBQ4lNJyjJdpntsUvooRKNF14CXQM6J-2WtOv8_MUcD9VX3RSWIIvZ2GkTAXVUW_O7bAuZobbXQ9FJeM9PI1QFZTlz66sdyuUBsl04fjXRyxHzRl_-SFF22or8-vx9Dz5vFOPMAeKIV5UPqg0fudfQ4pP-DzHXJ6wikSSQ-DzhYK4rtWXdhase97Fk67rh1Afqyxfo9yhSpSznchUspOSnBNLnib50ClYhKLB85_TDjhZXOtosPNVVl-CklzLNm4nYdTo4Drx-3KTx6y_cHo_R5OuARKujLNhg5ybNFnu76gmVqEUNsnYEhzvHCMD7sM-Vu4Z3R3PqOc85pNAbsgnM4XrJsSH50ITka_1JCecDhNSGTRUVwAxxX1yPHx4J5Td8SxaptgNwdjU9_XclYVJaThHH615lov9TUn_1XJhn50Trtzwy14JTRYSegfbQQ1czFak1WH3CSGt_nnRjkJku4kcz9eA89wrfsOAI0k_qcSvyQrVaclmtPFYeEbXdEeXLg13EOglq6k6LT2hYswA=w1382-h1036-no


  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ paulos53


    This is from the Equipment Rules
    2. Gloves (Rule 4.3)

    Gloves may be worn to assist the player in gripping the club, provided they are plain.
    A “plain” glove must:
    • consist of a fitted covering of the hand with a separate sheath or opening for each digit (fingers and thumb); and
    • be made of smooth materials on the full palm and gripping surface of the digits.

    A “plain” glove must not incorporate:
    • material on the gripping surface or inside of the glove, the primary purpose of which is to provide padding or which has the effect of providing padding. Padding is defined as an area of glove material which is more than 0.025 inches (0.635 mm) thicker than the adjacent areas of the glove without the added material;
    Note: Material may be added for wear resistance, moisture absorption or other functional purposes, provided it does not exceed the definition of padding (see above).

    The Padding section is the part that might catch you out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭ Seve OB


    jaysus
    i remember playing a few times in god awful weather and it got to the stage when my mitts didn't come off it was so cold. needless to say the golf i produced was god damn shocking, but it was before the mitts stayed on.

    were casual rounds by the way


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ GolfNut33


    Seve OB wrote: »
    jaysus
    i remember playing a few times in god awful weather and it got to the stage when my mitts didn't come off it was so cold. needless to say the golf i produced was god damn shocking, but it was before the mitts stayed on.

    were casual rounds by the way

    NOTHING. GOOD. EVER. COMES. OF. PLAYING. IN. THESE. CONDITIONS.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,807 ✭✭✭✭ Mantis Toboggan


    I thought you only had two options when going into a penalty area with red stakes? Either you play again from the same spot for a 1 shot penalty or you get two club lengths from the hazard again with one shot penalty.

    On the recent golf monthly YouTube 8 biggest rule mistakes they mention 3 options, third option to come back in a line as far as you want which I thought was only on yellow stakes.

    Anyone able to confirm?


    IRISHMEN AND IRISHWOMEN: "In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, Ireland, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom"

    Irish Proclamation



  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ paulos53


    That article is correct.


    Yellow and Red both allow you to go back to where the previous shot was played or back in line with the flag



    Red penalty areas have the 3rd option of lateral relief of up to 2 club lengths. This is not available from Yellow penalty areas


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ GolfNut33


    I thought you only had two options when going into a penalty area with red stakes? Either you play again from the same spot for a 1 shot penalty or you get two club lengths from the hazard again with one shot penalty.

    On the recent golf monthly YouTube 8 biggest rule mistakes they mention 3 options, third option to come back in a line as far as you want which I thought was only on yellow stakes.

    Anyone able to confirm?

    Red and yellow are the same except with red you have the additional option of 2 club drop.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭ Seve OB


    GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Red and yellow are the same except with red you have the additional option of 2 club drop.

    well not quite.
    a red stake you can drop at point of entry where a yellow stake you might have to drop on the far side

    eg water short of green, yellow hazard, you go long over the back.
    next shot you chip up onto the green but it goes right through into the yellow hazard
    you must now drop the far side.
    if the hazard was red, you could drop at point of entry not nearer the hole


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ GolfNut33


    Seve OB wrote: »
    well not quite.
    a red stake you can drop at point of entry where a yellow stake you might have to drop on the far side

    eg water short of green, yellow hazard, you go long over the back.
    next shot you chip up onto the green but it goes right through into the yellow hazard
    you must now drop the far side.
    if the hazard was red, you could drop at point of entry not nearer the hole

    Hence the extra 2 club drop for red stakes?


  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ JoseJones


    Seve OB wrote: »
    well not quite.
    a red stake you can drop at point of entry where a yellow stake you might have to drop on the far side

    eg water short of green, yellow hazard, you go long over the back.
    next shot you chip up onto the green but it goes right through into the yellow hazard
    you must now drop the far side.
    if the hazard was red, you could drop at point of entry not nearer the hole

    If it was red you'd also have the option to drop the far side too, no?

    So they are the same bar the extra option for red stakes... I think?


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭ prawnsambo


    JoseJones wrote: »
    If it was red you'd also have the option to drop the far side too, no?

    So they are the same bar the extra option for red stakes... I think?
    You do, but it has to be in line with where the ball entered and the pin. Usually that means dropping further back than where the ball entered (depending on the width of the penalty area).


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ HighLine


    I thought you only had two options when going into a penalty area with red stakes? Either you play again from the same spot for a 1 shot penalty or you get two club lengths from the hazard again with one shot penalty.

    On the recent golf monthly YouTube 8 biggest rule mistakes they mention 3 options, third option to come back in a line as far as you want which I thought was only on yellow stakes.

    Anyone able to confirm?

    Really the first port of call when you have a rules query is the actual Rules of Golf book or app. They are both free and easy to access. They even have diagrams now so to get the answer to your question, the screenshot below would have solved your query.

    494494.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ JoseJones


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    You do, but it has to be in line with where the ball entered and the pin. Usually that means dropping further back than where the ball entered (depending on the width of the penalty area).

    Yeah, it's the same regardless if it's yellow or red. So you have the same options for both, just an extra option of 2 club lengths from point of entry not nearer the hole with red stakes.

    The diagrams posted above are great, the rules of golf quick reference book is very handy it's full of diagrams like that for all of the rules.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭ gypsy79


    Similar, if not slightly different.

    Bunkers are out of play. My reading is nearest pint of relief from where the ball stops. And then as for back as you like in line with the flag.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ HighLine


    gypsy79 wrote: »
    Similar, if not slightly different.

    Bunkers are out of play. My reading is nearest pint of relief from where the ball stops. And then as for back as you like in line with the flag.

    If a bunker is out of play, it loses its status as a bunker and becomes part of the "General Area". So you do take the nearest point of complete relief but you do not have the option to go back as far as you like. You just have 1 club length from your nearest point of relief. See diagram from rules below.

    I can understand the confusion however because there is an option (Rule 16-1c) to take relief from an abnormal ground condition in a bunker (e.g. a pool of water) by dropping outside the bunker (under one penalty stroke) and your reference point is a line from the flag through the original spot where your ball lay back as far as you wish to go outside the bunker.


    494846.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭ dennyire


    gypsy79 wrote: »
    Similar, if not slightly different.

    Bunkers are out of play. My reading is nearest pint of relief from where the ball stops. And then as for back as you like in line with the flag.

    19th hole?


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,518 ✭✭✭✭ GreeBo


    Good rule of thumb is that if you are paying for the drop you can go back as far as you want (or replay the shot)


Advertisement