Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting tv on plasterboard

Options
  • 30-08-2019 2:28pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to mount a tv on a plasterboard wall in my kitchen. The tv weighs 11kg.

I'm putting it on a very short bit of wall, it's ~41 inches wide. However, much to my surprise there is no stud in the middle of this wall, just the 2 studs at either end.

I am fixing the mount using a mixture of spring / snap toggles, about 10 in all. The mount instructions do indicate that it can be mounted on a wall without hitting any studs, once toggle fixings are used.

However, this is quite a long distance without a stud, so I just want to check that nobody sees any huge issue with mounting this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If it was me and it was an expensive tv (or to be honest, probbaly anyway!) Id fit some timber to the two studs and then the TV to that.

11KG isnt heavy, but on a 41" span of plasterboard I'd be wary.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GreeBo wrote: »
    If it was me and it was an expensive tv (or to be honest, probbaly anyway!) Id fit some timber to the two studs and then the TV to that.

11KG isnt heavy, but on a 41" span of plasterboard I'd be wary.

Don't want to be doing that, the TV is designed to sit completely flush to the wall (special mount).

Also, not sure if worth mentioning but the wall on the other side of the plasterboard is an external wall, it's not an internal stud wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Maybe a rectangular 1/2" plywood which is large enough (but smaller than the overall size of the TV frame. Then load it up with screws like this in the pasterboard:

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/easydrive-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-32mm-pack-of-500.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1ejWvOGq5AIVBJ7VCh0mJgYHEAQYBCABEgK-2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

How far apart is the plasterboard from the brick?

I think there might be a metal stud behind it actually. When I run the detector over it, it does detect something vertical that's metal. Would be the first metal stud I've found in the house though.

Does this sound likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Muttley79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Muttley79 wrote: »

They are sh!te to be honest, Ive used them before.

I'd go into the wall behind then use rawl plugs. Put them on the end of a long screw and bang them into the hole with a hammer, then screw it in the rest of the way.
    You'll need a decent drill, nothing more annoying than trying to get into the wall with a crap drill, you'll end up going sideways in the wall.

The block wall behind is a good distance away, I'd say 20+cm.

Actually by pure coincidence the builder just walked past and I asked him.

There is indeed a metal stud. Metal stud on outside walls.

I should be good so? I can presumably put the toggles through metals tuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

https://youtu.be/aeFyQS2NGVM

Geefix come recommended by this lad...he’s tested loads of other types of plasterboard fixings!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've used these successfully to hang a 40" older model TV that weighed a fair bit. I think I used 8 of them with decent sized washers and it hasn't budged in 10 years.

Provided you're not using one of those articulated tv stands and a flush mounted stand I can't see there being any issues.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/easyfix-spring-toggles-5-x-50mm-20-pack.html

4257X_P

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I've used these successfully to hang a 40" older model TV that weighed a fair bit. I think I used 8 of them with decent sized washers and it hasn't budged in 10 years.

Provided you're not using one of those articulated tv stands and a flush mounted stand I can't see there being any issues.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/easyfix-spring-toggles-5-x-50mm-20-pack.html

4257X_P
    That’s exactly what I’m using.

So, work all done, fixings and mount feel sturdy.

Except I messed up a measurement, and the TV is about 10cm too low, semi-covering a light switch. Raging! :mad:

Will have to redo it next weekend, it'll wreck my head like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

awec wrote: »
    So, work all done, fixings and mount feel sturdy.

Except I messed up a measurement, and the TV is about 10cm too low, semi-covering a light switch. Raging! :mad:

Will have to redo it next weekend, it'll wreck my head like this.

No worries, the holes will be behind the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

They are sh!te to be honest, Ive used them before.

I'd go into the wall behind then use rawl plugs. Put them on the end of a long screw and bang them into the hole with a hammer, then screw it in the rest of the way.
    You'll need a decent drill, nothing more annoying than trying to get into the wall with a crap drill, you'll end up going sideways in the wall.

Probably the best plasterboard fixings available. You must have been using them incorrectly. The setting tool makes using them a breeze.

listermint wrote: »
    No worries, the holes will be behind the TV.

Ah yea it's grand.

I presume something like Polyfilla would be grand for closing up ~13mm holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I'm planning to hang a 65inch tv on a plasterboard wall onto a full motion swivel bracket.
    The stub boards are 24 inch apart. Pretty sure the bracket designed for 16inch stub boards so will only be using 1 stub board.
    I've ordered 'gripit' 'fixing heavy stuff to plasterboard' to finish hanging the bracket.
    TV weight 33kg.
    If I look at their material should hold with combo of secured to 1 stub board these gripit plugs but when I look at size of tv doesn't fill me with confidence.
    I was mulling over the idea of 2 metal flat bars between 3 stub boards & secure the bracket to these. (paint over to camouflage the bars)
    Any one use these 'gripits'? Any other ideas on how secure to plasterboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Have a look at Charlie DIYet Youtube channel.

He does a series of test on different plasterboard fixings. They are quite comprehensive - you will certainly a number of suitable options

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x7wk8yeN2ZEJCo6BgP2ag

Advertisement