Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Half-Time?

Options
  • 30-08-2019 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    My wife is looking at a position that has been advertised as an Executive Assistant in a University. Its a 'half time permanent post'. She is currently on carers benefit and eligible to work 15 hours a week. can anyone explain what 'half time permanent post' hours of contact would be?
    any advice would be great,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

HI all,
    My wife is looking at a position that has been advertised as an Executive Assistant in a University. Its a 'half time permanent post'. She is currently on carers benefit and eligible to work 15 hours a week. can anyone explain what 'half time permanent post' hours of contact would be?
    any advice would be great,
    Thanks
    Half time is exactly half the hours of a full time contract. It’s unlikely that a full time is 30 hours so half time will be more than 15 hours. For example full time in HSE is 37 hours so half time is 18.5 hours. University would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks... would the hours possibly be full time based over a shorter period of time, term time maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭fits

If it was term time it would probably say it.
    I think she should still apply and specify the carers limit of 15 hours. Half time is 18 hours 30 minutes. They might be able to accomodate her if she's right for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

thanks... would the hours possibly be full time based over a shorter period of time, term time maybe?

Unlikely. Universities are open all year with postgrads and research teams working all the time. I agree that the job spec would probably say term time if it was.

Do apply, they might be happy with someone doing 15 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks for the replies. Its an 18.5 hour permanent contract. Across the calander year oppose to the academic calendar, with allocation of hours agreed locally in the department.

Hopefully, shes qualified enough as she holds a BA(hons) communications, various level 5 qualifications and has almost 15 years management experience (Retail/Child care) managing up to 40+ staff and payroll, whilst also controlling budgets in excess of seven figures (when in retail). Life has just dictated that now as a carer she needs to go to a less demanding, more secure job that allows her to work the scheduled hours in work and no more.
    Hopefully it works out

• Advertisement
Advertisement