Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which winter bike frame?

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I have a new bike that I would like to keep away from my winter commute and looking for a good budget frameset.
    The frame failed on my old bike so I have a 5800 group set in good nick, rim brake wheels and finishing kit to transfer over.
    I want a winter bike that still feels a bit fun if possible.
    I was thinking about the 56cm Dolan Proffisio, but wanted to see if there were any other options 200-300?
    https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-frameset.html

Comments

Someone else posted about that particular frame a good while ago, not sure if they went ahead and got it, but I'll say the same thing I did then. It looks lovely when it's built up.

1541784785_main.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Yeh, it is nice looking I agree. The planetx carbon frames are also good value but I am not a fan of big sloping top tubes. The only thing holding me back from the Dolan is the weight, not sure how it’s gonna feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's almost impossible to beat the value of those Dolan Preffisio as a frame only winter commute hack bike. But you won't build it down light, I'd be surprised if you got it under 9-9.5kg.

There are usually some interesting options on Salden though https://www.saldenbikes.com/fietsen-en-frames/roadracing/roadracing-frameset.html?product_list_order=price

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we're talking about a commuting bike? surely weight is not that much of a problem; and i'd be curious about what seems to be the linking of heavier weight to poorer feel.
    i commute on a steel bike and it's the best 'feeling' bike i own. it's got a listed weight of 10.5kg on the manufacturer's specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Depends where you're commuting and whether the bike will also extend to being a poor weather weekend bike also. I regularly extend my commute over the Dublin/Wicklow mountains and come the end of September that bike will be the only bike I throw the leg over for 350/400km every week until next April again. So for some people weight will be important.

Feel, usual subjectivity caveats apply. My '82 531 Carlton feels fantastic to ride around on, but it certainly doesn't instill the same feeling of handling prowess or acceleration that my CAAD10 commuter does.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I think I’m gonna give the Dolan a go and will report back on how it goes.
    With the sale price and weak sterling it’s nice bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

flatface wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I think I’m gonna give the Dolan a go and will report back on how it goes.
    With the sale price and weak sterling it’s nice bargain.

Just a bit curious about Dolan Preffisio sizing. Dare I ask what height you are and what frame size you will go for.

Im around 5.7 or 5.8 (depending on how stiff my back is :D) Dolan suggest the 54 but the TT is 55cm which I think is way too big. I would have thought the 50 or 52 would be about right for me.

Just a bit curious about Dolan Preffisio sizing. Dare I ask what height you are and what frame size you will go for.

Im around 5.7 or 5.8 (depending on how stiff my back is :D) Dolan suggest the 54 but the TT is 55cm which I think is way too big. I would have thought the 50 or 52 would be about right for me.

I had a 56 before which was a touch small and a 58 now that’s a touch big so I’m going for a 56 as the stack reach looks between the 2. The geometry is supposed to be quite racy with a low front, so think that will suit.

Edit: I’m 6.1 by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

This is a bargain , I’d be all over it, might be a tad small although caad12s are typically big

https://www.adverts.ie/18715285

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Oberkon wrote: »
    This is a bargain , I’d be all over it, might be a tad small although caad12s are typically big

https://www.adverts.ie/18715285

That is cheap to the point of suspicious. Could be just a B2W never used (you do get some bargains because of that - I got an unused Cube Attain Tiagra for a little bit less just after Christmas) but I'd be looking for a receipt at that price - not saying there is anything wrong in this case. The Garmin speed and cadence sensors but no mention of a Garmin, and low feedback, make it more so.

Im building one up as a winter build myself - you'd need to use clip on mudguards though

• Advertisement
Advertisement