Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a career in journalism like?

Options
  • 29-08-2019 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of taking a career in journalism. I wonder what that's like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Can you copy tweets from Twitter and retype exactly what was stated in the tweet for an article?
    Can you come up with clickbait headlines for non stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Journalism is dead. Tell us what about it attracts you and we can tell you suitable alternative careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Think Gemma O'Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I'm thinking of taking a career in journalism. I wonder what that's like.

At the moment most of the industry contains a lot of toxic environments, it's a difficult industry to start a career at the moment.

Is there a particular area of journalism which appeals to you ?

New journalists are often taken advantage of and (as an example.... told they must do words and photos) in some cases bullied (told if they don't do it their job is someone else's).

The role of a journalist has changed dramatically in the past 10+ years, clickbait stories, creating content, stealing copy from other journalists and adding a line or two more and adding your own byline - in many cases told they have to do it or get sacked, but many won't stand up against this practice.

Edit: forgot to mention the money is poor and the hours are long - it is expected that you won't have difficulty staying on a job for an hour or two over your shift time (for no extra pay), in saying all that.... It's not a hard physical job, it can be mentally taxing, sometimes.

Advertisement