Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards/winter bike - when?

Options
  • 29-08-2019 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Those of you that commute -
    When do you switch to your winter bike or when do get set up for winter riding, installing mudguards etc.

Do you have a specific date etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

The tyres on my race bike are too fickle to deal with the urban slog of a commute into D2 so I use my commuter for most mid-week racing. The full coverage mudguards went back on after the last Mondello of the season on Tuesday and they'll stay on there until next April. Other than for racing I'd probably never remove them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just starting the annual "this year I'll get a dyno hub" search, before buying a battery option... Still expect to get a few weeks out of the good bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

On that, when putting the good bike away - do people get it serviced or just wash and oil, and if storing in a shed, cover it with a bike cover/bedsheets... or what is recommended if you don't plan to use it for a few months?

I switched back to my commuter this week with mudguards etc... too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

mudguards: for commuting all year round.

I hate people in front of me spraying mud or water up at me and won't risk doing it to someone else. It is not as if i am racing on the commute and there is no reason not to use mudguards.

My good bike for weekends - I have removable mudguards and put them on or off depending on the weather on the day. I don't cycle in a group so there is rarely someone behind me at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just starting the annual "this year I'll get a dyno hub" search, before buying a battery option... Still expect to get a few weeks out of the good bike though.

Ahem...

Wheel (disc only)
    Front
    Rear
    Cable
    Total cost €130...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

I've just started commuting in the past two months (and really enjoy it). I've spent the past week or two ordering lights, mudguards and hi-vis gear. Its all going to be getting use in the next week or two and then throughout the winter. Once the winter is over I'll be buying a new bike anyway and keeping the old one for the harder work/wet days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fian wrote: »
    mudguards: for commuting all year round.
    yep, i have one bike and the mudguards only came off fo the drought last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bot1 wrote: »
    Those of you that commute -
    When do you switch to your winter bike or when do get set up for winter riding, installing mudguards etc.

Do you have a specific date etc.?
    On the club scene, they go on when the clocks go back and off when they go forward.

I leave them on my commuter all year round. (We've probably had more rain in the past few weeks than all last winter).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭G1032

On that, when putting the good bike away - do people get it serviced or just wash and oil, and if storing in a shed, cover it with a bike cover/bedsheets... or what is recommended if you don't plan to use it for a few months?

I switched back to my commuter this week with mudguards etc... too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeX7JGtjklQ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The weather is so fcuking **** in this country that I leave them on all year around as we don't actually have a dry season. It rains all the time and so there is no point in taking them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Put the mudguards back on last weekend, between 32mm tyres, big pump, saddlebag with tubes, lights etc. the yoke weighs a bloody ton. Can still hold a decent pace on the flat though.

The same bike will be used for any wet weekend spins as well. On days where good weather is guaranteed the fancy bike comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I have Race Blades so they go on whenever it's raining or when the ground is wet. In Winter it's constantly lashing and when it isn't, the ground is usually soaking from it having previously lashed, so I pretty much just leave them on at all times.

I wouldn't leave them on during the Summer months as it takes away from the sleek looks but they seem to blend in at Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'll be putting the summer bike in hibernation any day now. Going to dig out the winter bike and mudguards this evening and begin the recommissioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Commuter has a Musguard fitted all year.

Sunday bike is getting race blades back on tonight I think (tomorrow will probably be dry but not guaranteed).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Race bike goes into hibernation October 1st
    Winter bike comes out of hibernation September 1st.
    Intermediate bike remains in use On all days unless mudguards are an absolute must.

Advertisement