Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SRAM Force AXS eTap

Options
  • 29-08-2019 10:05am

So SRAM has brought out a more affordable version of their eTap shifting, using the Force 12 speed group set.

It looks good. Very good from what the reviews tell me, but has anyone any experience with eTap?

I am in the market at the moment and had my sights set on a Di2 disc brake bike, but this has turned my head.

The only issue is, it seems that availability on the bikes I can afford isn't going to be until the start of the new year.

Is it worth waiting?

I'm also a bit of a luddite and wireless shifting? surely that means there's a lot more chance of it going wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Not a fan myself , seems very glitchy compared to the original Etap Sram

You'll need to turn the volume up for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I was thinking about getting this groupset and of course the internet has provided all sorts of good info on different aspects of it. However its a well documented problem with a very noisy chain/cassette on this groupset from new and bedded in chains/cassttes. Has anyone here experienced it? The solution SRAM propose sounds a bit weak and when people eventually upgraded to a Red cassette it reduces the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I have a new supersix evo with force etap. Yep, the raspy noise sounds like the gears are not adjusted properly. It can somewhat be mitigated by installing 3 rubber rings between the bottom 4 sprockets. I did this and no noise when on the smaller cogs.

https://www.lordgun.com/noise-reduction-rings-kit-sram-stealth-cassette-force-axs-xg-1270-1

But for the most part in the middle of the cassette is noisy compared to Shimano. The only solution is to spend more money on a red axs cassette which does not have this noise. Replacing the chain for a red one makes no difference.

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/sram-force-axs-cassette-noise-issue/33225/12

Some forums have reported that if you replace the cassette this draws attention to the rings which make a wooshing noise, apparently caused by vibration from the carbon cranks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/dmua9d/sram_force_axs_loud_and_uneven_sound/

Personally I just ignore the noise off the axs cassette and ride the thing. Root cause is supposed to be the black paint on the cassette which once worn off is supposed to improve things. Not done enough mileage to notice this yet.

Shifting is fine. No dropped chains.

Only other minus is the cranks seem to tighten as you ride and I needed a breaker bar to remove the cranks in order to install a spider based power meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Glad you raised this thread again. I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this GS having ridden with someone who was raving about it. Wonder if the drop in price has anything to do with low sales due to this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Thats the thing, what Flaccus said is pretty much my conclusion. Its heap of money to spend on a groupset that is noisy after being marketing as the quietest thing ever. The Red apparently does not suffer from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

But GCM say it's really good......

:pac:

To be honest I am happy with it. I enjoy the clean front where you cannot see any hoses or cables. And once you get the micro adjustments at the cassette done it is very smooth shifting. Easily as smooth as di2. Basically while pedaling or on a stand while turning the cranks, you press the axs button on the left or right shifter and that moves the chain in or out on the cog in 0.25mm increments. This sorts any issues with inside or outside of chain rubbing off the next cog up or down. My chain from the factory, was actually rubbing off the inside of 10 cog when it was in the 11. It only takes a minute while riding to sort it.

The front shifting is fine for me too. I don't race so do not mind the fraction of a second delay when it makes up it's mind if you are shifting at the back or front.

Really the only noise that makes it louder than other groupsets is the rasping noise from the chain as you pedal. It's easy to get used to it. Or just spend a bit more on a red cassette. But it wouldn't put me off buying a bike with this groupset on it.

Also updating is really really easy with the app on the phone. No need for a pc which is what is recommended with di2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Flaccus wrote: »
    To be honest I am happy with it. I enjoy the clean front where you cannot see any hoses or cables. And once you get the micro adjustments at the cassette done it is very smooth shifting. Easily as smooth as di2. Basically while pedaling or on a stand while turning the cranks, you press the axs button on the left or right shifter and that moves the chain in or out on the cog in 0.25mm increments. This sorts any issues with inside or outside of chain rubbing off the next cog up or down. My chain from the factory, was actually rubbing off the inside of 10 cog when it was in the 11. It only takes a minute while riding to sort it.

The front shifting is fine for me too. I don't race so do not mind the fraction of a second delay when it makes up it's mind if you are shifting at the back or front.

Really the only noise that makes it louder than other groupsets is the rasping noise from the chain as you pedal. It's easy to get used to it. Or just spend a bit more on a red cassette. But it wouldn't put me off buying a bike with this groupset on it.

Also updating is really really easy with the app on the phone. No need for a pc which is what is recommended with di2.

A bit more?? €150?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A bit more?? €150?

https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-RED-Cassette-XG-1290-12-speed-eTap-AXS

Closer to 230 euro. Which is about 100 euro cheaper than what the LBS sell it for.

Advertisement