Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time bike communiting in the city centre

Options
  • 28-08-2019 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

Hey every one,

Getting ready for the possibility I may have to Bike commute to a possible job. Most of the time I've been a car driver, but i sold it as insurance is just a rip off now. The roads I plan to go on seem to be well lit, doesn't mean I'm not going to make my self look like a Christmas tree :pac:...

As a kid I loved cycling and tuck my own bike back together and then rebuilt it. I'm pretty good with a bike. Not as good as bike tec, but I know my way around a bike.

I don't know what I need to carry with me, so any suggestions advice would be awesome. I live in Cabra and could be working near Belfeild. So about a 40 minute cycle.

So far I was thinking a pump, x2 tubes, lights, rain gear, gloves and a helmet oh one of those bikes too. anything else you can recommend.

So any advice and tips and tricks would be awesome :)

Comments

Maybe give some thought as to where you will be locking the bike and what to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you know how to change a tube?

Bring:

Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Spare tube(s)
    Pump and CO2
    Emergency tyre boot
    Puncture repair kit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what route were you thinking? one option would be to skirt the eastern end of the park, and heading along the canal to ranelagh, so approaching belfield from the clonskeagh side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cable ties are useful when things break or screws go missing unexpectedly. Resealable ones are really handy, though a bit hard to find. You can even use ties to bodge the rear derailleur into an appropriate gear if cables snap, apparently.

I like to bring a puncture repair kit. Your list looks fairly complete though. You didn't mention tyre levers, allen keys or some kind of dogbone spanner or multi-tool? You definitely need the levers, and usually need something to tighten up things that have come loose.

I won't give you the entire contents of my repair kit, as it's a bit larger than normally required, because I'm running three quite different bikes.

Make sure your wheels are locked as well as your frame.
    This site has good advice about locks and how to use them:
    https://thebestbikelock.com

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Think about your clothing, be cycle specific. Also personally I use panniers and find them great , no sweaty back or weight on your back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Totally recommend panniers too. Get good waterproof ones if you can afford them (Ortlieb are super).

Don't necessarily take the shortest route from A to B.

I commuted from Cabra to Dun Laoghaire for a while and my preferred route was to follow the North Circular Road, cross the Liffey at the Samuel Beckett Bridge, and then head out to the Southside either via Ringsend and Strand Road, or straight out the Merrion Road through Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My cycling route was 10 mins longer than the shortest A to B route. It was far nicer cycle though, perhaps safer too.

On a weekend change (take off and put back on and inflate) both front and rear tires in the garden with only the tools you will carry.
    That will show you want you need.

Also again on a not a work day practice the route, try a few options and see which you prefer. Rather than doing it when your rushing to work.

I had two sets of gear. one for light rain, warm. The other for really heavy days. Rarely used the heavy gear.
    Preferred to travel light and get wet change, then change at destination.

Because cycling makes you warm after 10 mins, you have to judge by that, not how you feel leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

beauf wrote: »
    On a weekend change (take off and put back on and inflate) both front and rear tires in the garden with only the tools you will carry.
    That will show you want you need.

Also again on a not a work day practice the route, try a few options and see which you prefer. Rather than doing it when your rushing to work.

+1 on this one! First time I got a puncture it took me the best part of half an hour to get it sorted and get myself back on the road. Definitely make sure you have 2 or 3 tyre levers in your kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Cabra>Belfield isnt too bad a route. Cabra>Smithfield>Church St>Quays until Capel St>Parliament St>Lane beside Dublin Castle>Georges st>Aungier St>Charlemont St>Ranelagh>Clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

+1 on this one! First time I got a puncture it took me the best part of half an hour to get it sorted and get myself back on the road. Definitely make sure you have 2 or 3 tyre levers in your kit.
    What do people think about using things like Slime Tube Sealant instead of having to pop off the tyre and replace the tube? I've had pretty good success with it over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

xckjoo wrote: »
    What do people think about using things like Slime Tube Sealant instead of having to pop off the tyre and replace the tube? I've had pretty good success with it over the past couple of years.

I tried it, but last time I got a puncture, the goo just came spluttering out like scutter out of an arsehole. I since changed my tyres to some seriously heavy-duty kevlar-type tyres. I think puncture-resistant tyres are an absolute essential around Dublin - there's broken glass everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Tyre levers, tubes, pump are the really essential elements of your saddle bag, to fix a puncture on your way in. For what it is worth I have had to do so about 3/4 times over the course of ten years or so commuting daily by bike.

then you need to think about clothing, I wear polyester tights under cotton shorts and a cycling shirt, helmet, gloves and I use a backpack that has a vented back . I wear a softshell or waterproof jacket depending on weather. no waterproof wet gear on legs- if i get rained on i will be changing in the office anyway. I bring a shirt, underwear, socks in every day and keep my suits and shoes in the office. Baby wipes for a quick clean when i arrive, I don't push hard so I shower at home and don't need to shower again in the office.

I also keep a spare key to my house & €20 in the saddlebag in case I forget to bring keys/wallet. I have a safe place to park my bike, make sure you have a good lock and a bike that doesn't look brand new if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Wow thanks everyone for the massive amount of input really appreciate it :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Do you know how to change a tube?

Bring:

Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Spare tube(s)
    Pump and CO2
    Emergency tyre boot
    Puncture repair kit.

I can indeed, can't believe I forgot those, there on my list. Thank you.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Cable ties are useful when things break or screws go missing unexpectedly. Resealable ones are really handy, though a bit hard to find. You can even use ties to bodge the rear derailleur into an appropriate gear if cables snap, apparently.

Make sure your wheels are locked as well as your frame.
    This site has good advice about locks and how to use them:
    https://thebestbikelock.com

Noted cable ties are always handy, Ill put some of them in my pack. Thanks for the Bike lock link too man :) I forgot about the bike lock. Most of the time it'll be under ground or in my house.

droidus wrote: »
    Cabra>Belfield isnt too bad a route. Cabra>Smithfield>Church St>Quays until Capel St>Parliament St>Lane beside Dublin Castle>Georges st>Aungier St>Charlemont St>Ranelagh>Clonskeagh.

I've got a similar route planned, I got it down to nearly 35 mins with a few short cuts through roads with bollards through the middle. But removing a traffic light system that takes ages to change will hopefully mitigate the time a little. :)

work wrote: »
    Think about your clothing, be cycle specific. Also personally I use panniers and find them great , no sweaty back or weight on your back

Moflojo wrote: »
    Totally recommend panniers too. Get good waterproof ones if you can afford them (Ortlieb are super).

Don't necessarily take the shortest route from A to B.

I'm not 100% sure of panniers I was going to use a dry bag and a decent back pack. For the time being.

As for gear I think a decent lite 3 layered (non) gortex jacket would be ideal.

as long as it has some mesh vents and the same with pants. As fro try weather pair of shorts legging s thermal and a neck gator.

I also found out this place has showers, so I'm going to bring a travel towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you intend cycling every day? If you do, then panniers are a must.
    Another alternative is to cycle 4 days a week and use public transport one day a week. When using PT, bring a weeks worth of work clothes into work and bring dirty clothes home. You can then cycle 4 days week without a backpack or panniers.

If you don't have a secure bike park, leave a U lock in work, so you don't have to carry it every day. You should also leave spare tube, spare socks and spare cycling clothes in work. If you do get wet cycling into work, at least your guaranteed to have dry socks and shorts to cycle home in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do you intend cycling every day? If you do, then panniers are a must.
    depends on the facilities available at the workplace. i don't cycle every day, and don't carry a laptop (well, i will have to now, but that's another story).
    but if you've showers in work, you're not going to worry about a sweaty back nearly as much. i carry fresh clothes, etc., in a backpack, but that's to swop out the fresh set i've already left in work the previous trip - so is something biblical does happen with the weather and the set i'm carrying gets soaked, i've buffered the clothes supply so will always have a clean set in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Some of you guys bring a lot of stuff! I have Schwalbe Marathons on my commuter and all I bring with me every day is a rain jacket and cycling cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

You should also leave spare tube, spare socks and spare cycling clothes in work. If you do get wet cycling into work, at least your guaranteed to have dry socks and shorts to cycle home in.

I am reading this just going "I really can't believe i never thought of doing that."

I mean seriously how did it never occur to me to leave spare cycling clothes in the office? I practically have a fully stocked medicine cabinet in here "just in case", along with spare shoes, suits, shirt, but no spare cycling shorts or top which are probably the items of clothing most likely to get wet/damp on me.

some of us are lucky enough to have drying rooms for cycling gear in work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement