Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone needed.

Options
  • 28-08-2019 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Currently have a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 but dropped it a few months back and cracked the screen causing it to play up a little.
    Rather than fix the screen im thinking of upgrading to a phone with a better camera.
    Are there any phones that would suit around €500. Have never had a top of the range phone though so would consider them if any of the newer ones stood out.

Was thinking Huawai P20 Pro or a OnePlus 7.

Any opinions on these or others?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

MSGSM wrote: »
    Currently have a Xiaomi Pocophone F1 but dropped it a few months back and cracked the screen causing it to play up a little.
    Rather than fix the screen im thinking of upgrading to a phone with a better camera.
    Are there any phones that would suit around €500. Have never had a top of the range phone though so would consider them if any of the newer ones stood out.

Was thinking Huawai P20 Pro or a OnePlus 7.

Any opinions on these or others?

Thanks
    Have you looked at the mi 9t pro

Mi 9t non-pro you wouldn't notice any difference in usage tbh to pro version as the snapdragon 730 is powerful and aside from another difference in one of the camera sensors that makes no difference is usage it's the same phone and it's a good saving.

unless your focus is getting the highest fps on games the pro version is not worth it.

eglobal for cheapest price or honorbuy for 2 business day delivery. no customs issue in either case. good camera, battery, screen, build for 300 euro or so (64gb version less)

Samsung s10e an option to look into also. Samsung's current android skin is pretty light and has some good features. V good camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MSGSM

glasso wrote: »
    Mi 9t non-pro you wouldn't notice any difference in usage tbh to pro version as the snapdragon 730 is powerful and aside from another difference in one of the camera sensors that makes no difference is usage it's the same phone and it's a good saving.

unless your focus is getting the highest fps on games the pro version is not worth it.

eglobal for cheapest price or honorbuy for 2 business day delivery. no customs issue in either case. good camera, battery, screen, build for 300 euro or so (64gb version less)

Samsung s10e an option to look into also. Samsung's current android skin is pretty light and has some good features. V good camera.

Oh really? Are any of these cameras close to the p20 Pro?
    I don't game at all. I only want my phone for social media and camera.

the mi 9t has

48 mpix (presented as 12mp for quality) main
    12 mp wide-angle
    8mp zoom

check the camera review and sample gallery on link below. the mi 9t is a newer phone but the p20 pro was a top-end flagship - not sure how close they are as have not directly compared.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_9t-review-1950p5.php

you can also easily install the gcam (google camera) on this phone which can produce amazing low-light shots.

s10e has no zoom camera but it's a pretty good camera also.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s10e-review-1908p5.php

click into the photos to see full scale

Thanks for the information Glasso. I currently have a Pocophone F1 and the camera isn't bad but a friend of mine has a P20 Pro and it is unreal. A lot dearer than the 9t. Might ask about in the P20 Pro thread.

• Advertisement

MSGSM wrote: »
    Thanks for the information Glasso. I currently have a Pocophone F1 and the camera isn't bad but a friend of mine has a P20 Pro and it is unreal. A lot dearer than the 9t. Might ask about in the P20 Pro thread.

the mi 9t would be a big step up from the poco f1 camera.

and with the ability to use gcam night shot would get close to the p20 low-light.

unless someone owns both phones you won't get a clear answer. the p20 owners will just say p20 is better lol

this will give you some idea. mi 9 a bit better than mi 9t in camera but not hugely. and p30 pro not a huge improvement over p20 pro

again, gcam night shot will improve the mi 9t low light.

Thanks Glasso. I think ill go for 9t cos im not in a position to spend big on a P20 Pro which seems to be an extra €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

What about Mate 20 Pro?
    Seems to be reduced currently.

Anyhow I use gcam 90% of the time on my Redmi note 5.
    Well recommended.

biebiebie wrote: »
    What about Mate 20 Pro?
    Seems to be reduced currently.

Anyhow I use gcam 90% of the time on my Redmi note 5.
    Well recommended.

given that mate 20 pro came out after the p20 pro it's unlikely to be cheaper I would say.

Advertisement