Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the leaving cert harder than people make it out to be?

Options
  • 28-08-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rmorrissey63

Bump

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I would say that the Leaving Cert isn't hard for the average person PROVIDED they study.

You can't wing the Leaving Cert and that's something I wish I learned. Even in subjects like English and Geography with many essays, you can't waffle if you want to get 400+ points. You really have to know your stuff and I stress really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Go over what was covered and summarise.
    Then go over the summary into bullet points.

Read over the bullet points and try to flesh out in your head. Rinse and repeat, exam will be second nature by the time it comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I honestly don't know if it's the result of:
    1. The amount of media and 24/7 news/
    2. The leaving cert as a whole getting "easier".
    3. The teaching of the leaving cert getting better.
    4. Kids having more time to study and getting smarter.
    5. A combination of all of the above.
    , but I do think there are more people than ever getting maximum/higher marks than there were twenty years ago.
    Is there a comparison available?

What concerns me more than this aspect of education is the amount of jobs that didn't require any formal college education 20 years ago, that now require a Level 7 or 8 qualification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

No, it's far easier (in hindsight)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I would say that the Leaving Cert isn't hard for the average person PROVIDED they study.

You can't wing the Leaving Cert and that's something I wish I learned. Even in subjects like English and Geography with many essays, you can't waffle if you want to get 400+ points. You really have to know your stuff and I stress really.

Our education system needs a major overhaul, it's ultimately a major memory test, if you have difficulties in this area, you may find yourself in trouble quickly, and you ll find yourself sidelined, and struggling in it. It does a poor job at preparing kids for third level, and if you find the world of acedemia just isn't for you, I'm sorry, but our educational system really doesn't prepare you for much else, the trades maybe, forget about it.

Is the Leaving Cert hard, yes for many, but almost impossible for some, and a dreadful way of preparing most for adulthood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

It is, if you're thick like I was when I did it.

Did seven subjects, Failed 4 and barely passed the other 5.

Maths was probably my strongest, getting a C+.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

It is hard and takes a lot of work but think the hard part is remembering such a vast and wide array of subjects

But in my honest opinion it really only tests your ability to learn and regurgitate information.

Depending on subjects chosen very little initiative and cleverness is required.

If you can learn by heart and again regurgitate this stuff you can have an extremely good leaving.

Geography, Business Studies, English, biology can be pretty straight forward using the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

its hard when you don't study its like everything else you get what you put in, don't get hung up on it to much all people ask of you is to try your best and go for it.

Allinall wrote: »

And this is what happens when an educational system fails, people thinking they are 'thick', people are not thick if they fail, as David mcwilliams says, the Leaving makes some think they are really intelligent but others really stupid, but this is not the truth, memory tests are not a measure of intelligence

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

One could argue though that allowing people to fail is the point of state examinations, not everyone can be successful.

Is it not a test to "weed" out weaker students?

One could argue though that allowing people to fail is the point of state examinations, not everyone can be successful.

Weed out humans!? We re not living in some computer game or sci-fi fantasy, never underestimate the damage an educational system can do to some, if it fails to meet people's needs, I've seen it cause detrimental damage to some that lasts a lifetime and can have negative effects on the next generation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Weaker at what though?
    And what do you define as "successful"?
    Some of the most "successful" people in this country failed or never even did a leaving cert.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The LC, like all mainly academic programmes, caters mainly for what Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences would classify as the Verbal / Linguistic and Logical / Mathematical intelligences.

And, while all of us tend to score to some extent in all the intelligences which they would identify (or at least propose), the reality is that not everyone scores most highly in these two, so they may struggle a bit academically and yet have other wonderful talents.

Yet the reality is that even if someone is a budding Van Gogh or a Renoir, they will still benefit from being able to read and write and do basic maths; the next Usain Bolt or Aretha Franklin might want to be able to check their finances and ensure that their agents aren't cheating them; in other words, even prodigies who score off the sale in the Visual / Spatial, Bodily / Kinesthetic or Musical intelligences benefit from a grounding in the three Rs, to use an old-fashioned term.

Mind you, such prodigies will tend to succeed even without the traditional skill-base ... but unfortunately not everyone who tends to score more highly in areas such as Visual / Spatial or Musical etc. is necessarily a prodigy. However, as Edison said, genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration, and with hard work and some common sense, and maybe a ha'porth of luck, I tend to believe that everyone can find something which they can do and do well.

I certainly wouldn't look on LC results or points as much of an indicator of their future success in life, even judged on a purely financial / commercial basis.

And above all, it has sweet FA to do with their future happiness in life!!

And you went on to be a comedian, right? :p:D

@OP :

LC might not suit everyone, but for the vast majority of people, it is very manageable, if you ...

... consistently do a reasonable amount of work from Day 1, rather than letting it slide. REASONABLE is the important word here ... keep on top of things, but doing crazy stuff like studying for 6 hours a night isn't necessary, and, indeed for most people, it's counter-productive. Such people tend to burn out before starter's orders for the big race are even called. See below.

... keep a reasonable work / life balance. Set aside the time you need for homework and study, concentrate on what you're doing for that period (remembering to take occasional short breaks), and then close the books and forget about it. Get enough sleep, eat *reasonably* well, get some regular exercise (sports are great, and tend to have a social aspect as well, but even if you're not sporty, get a brisk 20 minutes walk or whatever ... you'll be surprised on much better you will concentrate if you slot in some regular exercise). Make sure to have a social life.

BALANCE is the keyword here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Eh...4 + 5 = 11, not 7 :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:rolleyes:

I'd say "there's always one!", but this time there are two wannabe comedians ... :D

Advertisement