Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMOS asking for money on behalf of Bord Gais

Options
  • 28-08-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I used to have an account with Bord Gais, which I closed after I moved out of my apartment. I also closed my bank account once the direct debit of my closing bill had been charged, and it was with the expected amount.

A few months later and without having received any communication from Bord Gais via email or phone (I don't know if they sent me anything via post since I no longer live on that apartment), I have received a communication from CMOS asking me to pay some amount on behalf of Bord Gais. Apparently Bord Gais have amended some earlier charge and want me to pay that additional amount.

If that is the case, would it be unreasonable to expect some communication directly from Bord Gais? I never had any relationship with CMOS and I don't feel comfortable paying an amount on response to some emails I have received from a company I have no relationship with.

I will be happy to pay directly Bord Gais if they send me an updated bill and means of payment.

Is my expectation reasonable or should I just pay CMOS and hope it is not a scam?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

adlerhn wrote: »
    I don't know if they sent me anything via post since I no longer live on that apartment
    adlerhn wrote: »
    I will be happy to pay directly Bord Gais if they send me an updated bill and means of payment.

What did Bord Gais say when you contacted them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adlerhn

What did Bord Gais say when you contacted them ?

I just contacted them but didn't get a response from them just yet. I will wait a couple of days and ring otherwise.

Anyway, if they have any additional charge I would have expected them to contact me, not to send some charge to a collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,089 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're unlikely to give any info *except* by phone, ring them rather than wait to be told to ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They probably did send a bill to you, but at the old address.
    I think they have a "shut off" fee which applies if a new customer doesn't sign up within a set period.

My guess is that this is the fee.

I'd argue it with them and try and get it credited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Most likely your last bill was an 'estimated' charge, and when the tenancy changed over they got an actual reading and billed you for the difference.

Or if you were on Level Pay, there would always be an adjustment if you moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement