Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty half marathon 30th November 2019

Options
  • 28-08-2019 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

So debating running this, anyone here do it before, tough course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

A group of us were debating it, but it's on the same date as the Clontarf, which is way easier to get to. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Waterford AC half the following Saturday if that suits you better.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

jfh wrote: »
    So debating running this, anyone here do it before, tough course?

I've only done the half, but that course has a very tough 2.5 miles right in the middle, apart from that it was pretty ok.

I've signed up for the half again, gonna try take a stab at sub 1:30, but not sure how feasible it is with the aforementioned hills. I'd have to make up a lot of time in the last five miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’ve done the half and full there. Not exactly PB courses with the hills but great scenic routes. Very much country roads and the full goes out by beaches. Last year we were running along and a random Shetland pony came flying along the road, passed us out and kept going. The full doesn’t have that massive 2 mile hill the half has but it does have plenty others. Great atmosphere before and after. I love it but I don’t race it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I’ve done the half and full there. Not exactly PB courses with the hills but great scenic routes. Very much country roads and the full goes out by beaches. Last year we were running along and a random Shetland pony came flying along the road, passed us out and kept going. The full doesn’t have that massive 2 mile hill the half has but it does have plenty others. Great atmosphere before and after. I love it but I don’t race it.

I remember those ponies, saw a beautiful flock of them running across a beach about four miles in. Bit difficult to appreciate when you're climbing hills and gasping for air though :pac:

In other news, the event has now sold out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

If you like big medals (and possibly more than 1!), and running tops with slogans, quotes and references to a team that means nothing to you, then you will love this marathon. Oh, and it might rain, but I cannot lay the blame for that at the feet of the organisers.

Not long to go, feeling a bit nervous about it now!

Hope everyone had a great day! I ran the half again, missed my target by 36 seconds, but still over 9 minutes faster than last year so can't complain too much. I must say the race flew, felt like it was over before it even started. Tried starting near the back to avoid congestion, which seemingly is the wrong thing to do as I had a couple of snippy marshalls hurrying me and a few others over the start line :o didn't matter anyway really as I ended up catching up with the traffic, Clonakilty's a pretty narrow town! Weather was a lot gustier than last year, plus a brief but heavy shower around the 3 mile mark. Very nearly rolled my ankle and almost hit the floor with half a mile to go but recovered at the last second. All in all a pretty fun day, even if my legs are feeling it now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Not really sure I get the hype for this race, the course is challenging and scenic. Can't fault the stewards either but as an event it's fairly expensive as races go. There was a real inadequacy in toilet facilities particularly for the ladies, I went to the cinema and queued there. The starting gun was 5 mins late which in November isn't a time to be standing around.

At the end, tea, biscuits and black puddings are of the poorest spreads I've seen, you get more grub at 5k BHAA race and they are a fiver.

The medal and the top are nice, not really sure what's with all the quotes. Overall a quick tally of the entries would indicate a revenue of over a 100K for this event and would love to know how much of that (-minus biscuit expenses) will go to the charities listed on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Not really sure I get the hype for this race, the course is challenging and scenic. Can't fault the stewards either but as an event it's fairly expensive as races go. There was a real inadequacy in toilet facilities particularly for the ladies, I went to the cinema and queued there. The starting gun was 5 mins late which in November isn't a time to be standing around.

At the end, tea, biscuits and black puddings are of the poorest spreads I've seen, you get more grub at 5k BHAA race and they are a fiver.

The medal and the top are nice, not really sure what's with all the quotes. Overall a quick tally of the entries would indicate a revenue of over a 100K for this event and would love to know how much of that (-minus biscuit expenses) will go to the charities listed on their website.

I would suspect that it is another original Bay Run where the only thing that went was the money raised by the participants.

Tip: Never do a race that is not organised by a running club or the BHAA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement