Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-Ject turntables ......

Options
  • 27-08-2019 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

To all you 'old school' turntable audiophiles out there ........

Any thoughts on Pro-Ject turntables?

I've been looking at the Debut SE/III, fitted with an Ortofon OM10.

Good deck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

What do you plan on using them for? I think the model you've mentioned is belt drive, you'd always be better with a direct drive TT, but depends on your planned usage I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Plugged into a 1990s NAD 3020i with a pair of Kef Coda speakers.
    Purely to listen to my old collection of LPs......

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Probably perfectly adequate then, but I have no personal experience of them. It seems to review quite well online.... Enjoy the music!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I got the Project Debut 111 a few years ago.
    Was a bit awkward to set up at first. The belt drive can drive you mad and i couldn't figure out the weight at first.

But i kept going. I run it through a phono box to my Marantz MCR610 with Q Acoustics 2020 speakers. Nothing amazing in that but the clarity from my vinyl is great. Really love it!

Its not perfect. The needle does not return automatically when an album side finishes and the belt drive sometimes comes off when flipping the record. Just need a little care there...
    They sell this as an entry level turntable but it costs quite a bit. The quality is in the tone arm/needle(dont know what to call it lol!) Im glad i got it.

Thanks guys, good feedback....
    Pro-Ject call it an entry level deck, but ;250 it ain't cheap!

Can't wait to order it, and can't wait to set it up to regain that addictive analogue/vinyl punchy sound which I've been missing since the early 90s when I took the CD route and sold my Thorens TD-160 :eek:

Currently listening to everything on download or Spotify etc, but everything just sounds so digital, brash & loud, yet it's missing top end detail + bottom end depth, while also missing midrange punch! The Pro-Ject will address these issues, if only for my vinyl collection, which is fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Thanks guys, good feedback....
    Pro-Ject call it an entry level deck, but ;250 it ain't cheap!

Can't wait to order it, and can't wait to set it up to regain that addictive analogue/vinyl punchy sound which I've been missing since the early 90s when I took the CD route and sold my Thorens TD-160 :eek:

Currently listening to everything on download or Spotify etc, but everything just sounds so digital, brash & loud, yet it's missing top end detail + bottom end depth, while also missing midrange punch! The Pro-Ject will address these issues, if only for my vinyl collection, which is fine :)

Yeah some entry level price;) The one that is for sale now has a better cartridge too. Cant fault the one on mine so you are in for a treat.
    Im the same, recently took all my cd's off the wall and stored some and gave the rest away. Vinyl is all i buy now and use Spotify for everything else.
    If you had of told me i would do that 10 years ago i would have sent you off to a doctor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Plugged into a 1990s NAD 3020i with a pair of Kef Coda speakers.
    Purely to listen to my old collection of LPs......

That will be a very nice little system to play your LPs.

IMHO belt drive is far superior to direct drive (with some exceptions) and €250 is the minimum you'll spend on anything decent at entry level. You'll get a chunk of that back if/when you decide to upgrade.

A belt drive should have no problem with the belt falling off, perhaps time for a new belt if it's old and tired you could also try some talcum powder on it to hold a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive a Project Essential II and I love it. Great bang for your buck.

Ordered my Debut III/SE turntable last night from a HiFi retailer in England-Cambridgeshire. Comes with Ortofon OM10 cartridge + 12" platter.

Totally manual, but the sound through my NAD should be great. Any sound issues can be solved by changing the cartridge for an (Audio Technica)?

Will update when deck arrives early next week . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

. Any sound issues can be solved by changing the cartridge for an (Audio Technica)?
    Too simplistic, your original cart will be fine, if you have sound "issues" look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for my Project turntable to arrive, and wondering if I should have opted for the Fluance RT81 or 82 :cool:

They really are beautiful to look at, and I hear that they sound good too! (Fitted with an Audio Technica ATN95E).

Advertisement