Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues connecting to Wifi

Options
  • 26-08-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hoping someone might be able to help me here. My boys have rooted amazon tablets and for the last while won't connect to the house WiFi (upc). The WiFi works fine for everything else. I've switched the router off, reconnected etc but no joy. When I reset the router they'll connect for seconds and the connection is lost again. On the drop down menu on the home screen it's showing WiFi with the exclamation mark.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Comor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Don't suppose they could have both unintentionally turned wifi off (maybe by touching airplane mode)? But I wonder if there's some connection with my phone's wifi doing the same thing sometimes when I was previously on a different wifi (or mobile) network, and the phone assumes I still am. (Appears to connect briefly to our home wifi out of habit, then realises it's been instructed otherwise and disconnects).

The wifi showing with an exclamation mark means (in my case anyway) that the connection to the local/home wifi network is fine, but the further one to the outside world isn't. That serms to me to point to the tablets still attempting to connect to a different system, like I seem to remember my phone does sometimes on return from holiday. (But perhaps you've already eliminated that cause, or I've got muddled and someone more knowledgeable will correct me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Don't suppose they could have both unintentionally turned wifi off (maybe by touching airplane mode)? But I wonder if there's some connection with my phone's wifi doing the same thing sometimes when I was previously on a different wifi (or mobile) network, and the phone assumes I still am. (Appears to connect briefly to our home wifi out of habit, then realises it's been instructed otherwise and disconnects).

The wifi showing with an exclamation mark means (in my case anyway) that the connection to the local/home wifi network is fine, but the further one to the outside world isn't. That serms to me to point to the tablets still attempting to connect to a different system, like I seem to remember my phone does sometimes on return from holiday. (But perhaps you've already eliminated that cause, or I've got muddled and someone more knowledgeable will correct me!).
    Thanks Fogmatic, the last time I can remember them being connected was in France last month, so you could well be right.Is there a way to check this?

Much appreciated
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

conjon wrote: »
    Thanks Fogmatic, the last time I can remember them being connected was in France last month, so you could well be right.Is there a way to check this?

Much appreciated
    Conor
    Could the rooted tablets be pointed towards a faulty DNS server or otherwise misconfigured? If you have command line access on them you could test out pinging a few IP addresses and domain names to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Try a "Forget" on the WiFi connection.
    And then reconnect and type in the wifi password.

Advertisement