Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth autoplay

Options
  • 26-08-2019 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Anyone else get annoyed by this feature? Anytime I start the car or machine at work my phone connects to the Bluetooth radio and automatically starts blaring out whatever I happened to be listening to last, be it Spotify, a podcast or even tv series on VLC. Can't seem to find an option to disable it either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭corkie

Help if you said device, rom and android version.

Simple solution is to turn of Bluetooth when not using it.

You may have to check, each app for there auto-play feature on connection.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-disable-auto-bluetooth-audio-streaming-samsung-galaxy-phones

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I actually have the opposite problem with my headphones.
    In the mornings, the autoplay doesn't work when they connect and I put them on. Does in the evening though.

I find it a useful feature for the commute, when it works. Turn headphones on, let them connect, place on head, music plays without opening Spotify. Take headphones off, music stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

corkie wrote: »
    Help if you said device, rom and android version.

Simple solution is to turn of Bluetooth when not using it.

You may have to check, each app for there auto-play feature on connection.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-disable-auto-bluetooth-audio-streaming-samsung-galaxy-phones

HTC U11, Android 8.0.0, standard, never rooted. Doesn't seem to be any defaults set for the media apps I use that I can see.

Yeah I've seen that link in my googling before but it only advises disabling the media profile on Bluetooth connections which isn't what I'm looking for either unfortunately.

I have the Bluetooth active for calls and will always stream a podcast rather than listen to the FM because Irish radio is for the most part dire. I just take issue with Android automatically playing something from Spotify or VLC that I don't want to listen to.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I actually have the opposite problem with my headphones.
    In the mornings, the autoplay doesn't work when they connect and I put them on. Does in the evening though.

I find it a useful feature for the commute, when it works. Turn headphones on, let them connect, place on head, music plays without opening Spotify. Take headphones off, music stops.

Ha see I don't mind if it auto plays a podcast I'm in the middle of listening to but not a fan of it restarting an album I finished listening to the night before or opening VLC and restarting a movie I was casting from the phone.

For VLC

Settings - Audio - Headset

Disable detect headset & resume on headset insertion. Maybe for plugging in wired?

I have never had VLC play anything automatically through Bluetooth.

But I have a tendency to close apps and not have them open in the background for them to trigger auto-play.

I have a setting on my custom rom, 'Launch music app on headset connection'.

@Tazzimus

Use Headphones to Automatically Launch Apps on Your HTC One
    [Play] Headphone Connect

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

Oh I always close everything fully too, never leave apps open in the background. Even then when I start the car it'll usually launch Spotify of it's own accord. From Googling I've seen plenty others with the same issue regarding Spotify at least but no solution thus far apart from disabling the media profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Have the same problem in the car and want to play music but will default to Tunein

corkie wrote: »

Had read that article before and wasn't quite what I was after. Scrolled down to the comments this time however and think I've found a decent solution for me.

Basically set tasker to knock media volume down to zero upon detecting Bluetooth connection and start playing a selected song silently which will override all other grab requests. Tasker then kills the song and resets the volume. Should do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I had same issue on my phone but problem was it kept playing TuneIn no matter what I did... so I have a radio in my car already but it was insisting on using the Internet radio; I ended up uninstalling TuneIn as it was wrecking my head.. could not find a solution for it.

• Advertisement

My Tasker solution hasn't worked anyway. Zero background apps open and Spotify is still launching itself and playing whatever I listened to last. Maybe I need root access for it?

Advertisement