Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stimulate a cat's appetite

Options
  • 26-08-2019 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a month old kitten who has a virus of some sort and, as a consequence, has lost it's appetite. I have taken them to the vet and I've been given antibiotics.

However, I'm wondering what I can do to make him start eating again? He's not even drinking water at the moment so I've tried injecting water into his mouth with a syringe. I know that this won't be enough so I'm just wondering what would you recommend me to try with regards to solid food?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

1 month old? Or is that a typo?

What did the vets diagnose him with?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plus if it is a viral infection why are they giving it antibiotics?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Does cat nip stimulate there appetite aswell as senses?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rothko wrote: »
    Hi, I have a month old kitten who has a virus of some sort and, as a consequence, has lost it's appetite. I have taken them to the vet and I've been given antibiotics.

However, I'm wondering what I can do to make him start eating again? He's not even drinking water at the moment so I've tried injecting water into his mouth with a syringe. I know that this won't be enough so I'm just wondering what would you recommend me to try with regards to solid food?

Make proper rehydration fluid. Pint water; tbs sugar, tsp salt. If he cannot cope with food then he will not eat. When he starts improving he will start eating. For now liquids will hold him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GoodboyJack

I would keep away from cap nip, particularly for a kitten, I had a bad experience with it for a young cat, it over stimulated him and he became to excited and over anxious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I used to try a small smear of Marmite on a finger. Something they can smell and lick... or tuna oil from a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Royal canin baby cat soft mouse like food, warm slightly in microwave, teaspoon full at a time, add a teaspoon of water if it's not drinking, at a month old it's only weaning, do you have kitten milk? I'm not talking whiskers cat milk, real replacement milk.
    I've found the royal canin baby cat the best for weaning or sick kittens

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

If it's a one month old kitten I'd be getting proper kitten milk as mentioned above by mymo. I'd also consider a second opinion if they've given antibiotics for a viral infection as that's completely ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's not ineffective... The virus leads to secondary eye infections and upper respiratory infections - that's what the ABs are for - they are essential for the kitten's recovery. Rehydration fluids not enough. Syringe-feed warm babycat milk from Royal Canin until the kitty is eating on their own - someone mentioned warmed Royal Canin babycat mousse, which is excellent. Keep their nose clean as it's often a blocked nose that impacts their appetite. Bisolvan powder from the vet can help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Do you live near any rescues that could help you with this as they will have experience with looking after kittens this small and may be able to give you some tips. I don’t have experience with kittens that small but I would have thought they need kitten milk as opposed to water. They may only start to begin weaning at this age.

I know some animals in my care needed to be warm enough to start eating.....(you need to be careful they don’t get burnt on heat pads if they are small and weak, so I always make sure its well wrapped up and not *too* hot)....I’m not sure about kittens though.

I would recommend contacting a local cat rescue that has experience with young kittens, as young animals can need different care to an adult animal. Any very young animal that I help or rehabilitate is under the guidance of someone who has experience especially if it’s my first time :) People are usually quite happy to offer guidance too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

boomerang wrote: »
    It's not ineffective... The virus leads to secondary eye infections and upper respiratory infections - that's what the ABs are for - they are essential for the kitten's recovery. Rehydration fluids not enough. Syringe-feed warm babycat milk from Royal Canin until the kitty is eating on their own - someone mentioned warmed Royal Canin babycat mousse, which is excellent. Keep their nose clean as it's often a blocked nose that impacts their appetite. Bisolvan powder from the vet can help with this.

This sounds like really good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Baby food that is meat. Like chicken for babies in those jars.

I think kittens can have some catnip. But ask a vet. Also not all cats react to it ..some don't at all the reaction is genetic. It doesn't affect all cats.

Do check with a vet though.

Oh adding fish oil..or chicken fat.

Also cooked food. A roast chicken with the skin on is irresistible to cats.

Advertisement