Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector Probation and Promotion

Options
  • 26-08-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Relatively recent recruit to public sector and wondering how common it is for people to go for promotion elsewhere in the system when on probation?

Is this scenario a no-no? Or would the perception be you would need to put in X amount of years at that grade in order to go higher?

That was the impression I got before joining, but from what I can see none of the things I thought were the case, age at which people hit certain grades, how many staff (if any) report to grades etc.

Only in the door a short time, and loving it, great people/experience but role has opened up elsewhere in system at higher pay grade.

Also, If you go from one public service role to another, does you probation start again?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

traveller2 wrote: »
    Relatively recent recruit to public sector and wondering how common it is for people to go for promotion elsewhere in the system when on probation?

Is this scenario a no-no? Or would the perception be you would need to put in X amount of years at that grade in order to go higher?

That was the impression I got before joining, but from what I can see none of the things I thought were the case, age at which people hit certain grades, how many staff (if any) report to grades etc.

Only in the door a short time, and loving it, great people/experience but role has opened up elsewhere in system at higher pay grade.

Also, If you go from one public service role to another, does you probation start again?

Thanks all.

If you're eligible to go for a promotion, then go for it. I'm in the same boat, in grade 3 months and passed interview for the next grade and just waiting to be placed.
    In the case of promotion, they'd expect you to at least apply.
    In regards to probation, it will start over again with each promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Internal promotions and Inter Departmental promotions normally require 2 years at your grade. Open competitions are just that.

On probation, every probation is subject to satisfactory performance over a 12 month period. i.e. probation.

Advertisement