Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 move

Options
  • 25-08-2019 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Myself and the OH are moving out early 2020, we are in our late 20’s and have our IEC’s already. We’re thinking of heading to Vancouver and we were pretty set on it but have recently been reading about more and more job opportunities in Toronto.

I currently work in IT and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of working in IT in Vancouver and/or Toronto, what the lifestyle differences might be or any outright opinions on which city is the better choice.

Also any suggestions on health insurance providers?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ScraggyBay wrote: »
    Myself and the OH are moving out early 2020, we are in our late 20’s and have our IEC’s already. We’re thinking of heading to Vancouver and we were pretty set on it but have recently been reading about more and more job opportunities in Toronto.

I currently work in IT and I’m wondering if anyone has any experience of working in IT in Vancouver and/or Toronto, what the lifestyle differences might be or any outright opinions on which city is the better choice.

Also any suggestions on health insurance providers?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in IT in Vancouver (work mainly in the AWS space) and there's plenty of work going. Pay is pretty good too, my pay (through promotions and market increases) has gone up over 60% since 2015. There's loads of companies from west coast US opening offices here because the time zone is the same which is helping push the whole market up. But be prepared for a hard slog to get your foot in the door. You need to network like crazy, particularly on LinkedIn.

In terms of other differences, Toronto would have more going on in terms of gigs and just general things to do but Vancouver is way more relaxed and it's better if you are into the outdoors. Toronto also has harsher weather, winter is colder obviously and I believe the summer humidity is an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

What do you mean by "I.T", ScraggyBay?

I'm in software development in Toronto (Python). If you're a developer there is endless amount of work here.

Toronto is fantastic if you like sports. We've got the only teams thats in the American league in baseball MLB (Blue Jays) and basketball he NBA CHAMPIONS Toronto Raptors!!! We also have the Maple Leafs for Ice Hockey, Toronto F.C for MLS soccer and the CFL team the Argonauts.

We're on the same timezone as New York and have "short" 6 hour direct flights to Ireland year round.

Summers are hot and humid 25C from June up to 30C+ in July/August. We hit feel of 40C a few weeks back with humidly index.

I could go on and on. Let me know if you need to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ScraggyBay

jme2010 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "I.T", ScraggyBay?

I'm in software development in Toronto (Python). If you're a developer there is endless amount of work here.

Toronto is fantastic if you like sports. We've got the only teams thats in the American league in baseball MLB (Blue Jays) and basketball he NBA CHAMPIONS Toronto Raptors!!! We also have the Maple Leafs for Ice Hockey, Toronto F.C for MLS soccer and the CFL team the Argonauts.

We're on the same timezone as New York and have "short" 6 hour direct flights to Ireland year round.

Summers are hot and humid 25C from June up to 30C+ in July/August. We hit feel of 40C a few weeks back with humidly index.

I could go on and on. Let me know if you need to hear more.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I'm pretty early in my IT career, I primarily learned Java however I currently work in QA automation in a junior role. I've read that getting your foot in the door can be difficult, did you find this?

I've been doing research into different job prospects and so far have read that the interview process appears to be quite intense (4+ hours of interview time over various stages), would you be able to shed light on this if you have any experience with this.

Advertisement