Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed re kitten

Options
  • 25-08-2019 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

We have 2 little kittens, 4mths old.both girls, fully vaccinated with no problems.
    This morning at 7am, one of the kittens started crying, wailing like I've never heard. It was frightening and awful. We rang an out of hours vet and were there with him with 20mins. The kitten couldn't move, except her head. The crying was almost none stop.
    The vet immediately gave her injection for pain and an anti inflammatory. Her took her temp, and when he removed it there was blood on it. Her temp was v low and gums white. He said immediately that it wasnt looking good, internal bleeding. Xray showed nothing and before he could get her started on fluids, she died.
    From start to finish no more than an hour.
    I'm so confused as to what could have happened. Shes an indoor kitty, didn't have any knocks or a fall...nothing harmful in house that she could have injested .
    It's just awful her sister is looking for her.
    I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what could've caused this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That's awful, I'm so sorry.

The first thing that came to my mind was that did she eat any plants? Or ingest anything toxic or have access to anything like that? All I can think of is poisoning.

Or it could literally just be a fluke, one of those things that happen. Really sad. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GJFT

VonVix wrote: »
    That's awful, I'm so sorry.

The first thing that came to my mind was that did she eat any plants? Or ingest anything toxic or have access to anything like that? All I can think of is poisoning.

Or it could literally just be a fluke, one of those things that happen. Really sad. :(

Yea I thought poisoning aswell but we have a little boy with autism so everything toxic is locked away. No plants or flowers. I'm just worried now about her sister incase its something that could happen again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

My god, that's terrible. What an ordeal. You poor things.
    I've no clue what might have happened her GJFT, I just wanted to extend my heartfelt sympathies to you and your family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'm so sorry, such an awful thing to happen :-(

I think I've heard that UCD can do a postmortem, ask your vet if it's an option if it's something you want.

Did they have flea collars or any sort of treatment lately? Worming etc.

I've had a cat that died of an unexpected and unexplained short illness and its not pleasant. You keep asking yourself what could you have done differently. These things happen, you did all you could possibly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

(((HUGS)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GJFT wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have 2 little kittens, 4mths old.both girls, fully vaccinated with no problems.
    This morning at 7am, one of the kittens started crying, wailing like I've never heard. It was frightening and awful. We rang an out of hours vet and were there with him with 20mins. The kitten couldn't move, except her head. The crying was almost none stop.
    The vet immediately gave her injection for pain and an anti inflammatory. Her took her temp, and when he removed it there was blood on it. Her temp was v low and gums white. He said immediately that it wasnt looking good, internal bleeding. Xray showed nothing and before he could get her started on fluids, she died.
    From start to finish no more than an hour.
    I'm so confused as to what could have happened. Shes an indoor kitty, didn't have any knocks or a fall...nothing harmful in house that she could have injested .
    It's just awful her sister is looking for her.
    I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows what could've caused this?

Kittens seem to be made of rubber and play rough. Could just have been a very unlucky fall against a chair leg? That she just shook off...My dog once rolled down stairs and was in agony for days but she was well grown and fleshed. Young kittens are vulnerable yet hyper.

You did all you could. Please know that. In my Siamese breeding days we lost young cats and always heartbreaking. With you in this.. and hug the survivor close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GJFT

Graces7 wrote: »
    Kittens seem to be made of rubber and play rough. Could just have been a very unlucky fall against a chair leg? That she just shook off...My dog once rolled down stairs and was in agony for days but she was well grown and fleshed. Young kittens are vulnerable yet hyper.

You did all you could. Please know that. In my Siamese breeding days we lost young cats and always heartbreaking. With you in this.. and hug the survivor close to you.

Thanks all....

I've contacted a Cat Rescue about getting another kitty around the same age. Poor little girl has my heart broken, you can tell shes lonely and missing her sis.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Sorry to hear that. Yes you did all you could.

I have a 3month old atm rescued about 1 month ago. They investigate everything, and possibly your poor fellow could have ingested something. Small bits of plastic and elastic bands usually pique their interest and can cause serious problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What a horrible experience - so sudden and traumatic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

God thats awful. the internal bleeding sounds like a stomach/intestine rupture from eating something sharp or could be a serious knock or fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Poor baby. Sorry for your loss OP, must have been extremely traumatic.

If you are rescuing, make sure it's a kitty that's already neutered. Kittens can come into heat as young as four months of age! Reputable cat rescues will have their kittens neutered around the time of second vaccination and definitely before rehoming.

Advertisement