Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size is a small back garden?

Options
  • 25-08-2019 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Lots of mention here about the undesirability of new houses with small gardens.

So what’s a small garden. We’re looking at somewhere with 120 metre squared. Neither of us are gardeners but I wonder is that a small garden??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sarachryan wrote: »
    Lots of mention here about the undesirability of new houses with small gardens.

So what’s a small garden. We’re looking at somewhere with 120 metre squared. Neither of us are gardeners but I wonder is that a small garden??

By urban standards that’s a massive back garden.
    I’m currently for planning on a one off in Dublin for a client and the garden will be 28 Sq. M if granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarachryan

Thanks for that.

It sure doesn’t look like a massive back garden. That includes patio area by the way. But looks pretty small.

That said I really am an awful gardener.

Thanks for that.

It sure doesn’t look like a massive back garden. That includes patio area by the way. But looks pretty small.

That said I really am an awful gardener.

It’s all relative.
    To a city home owner it’s big. To a rural person from the country coming up to Dublin to buy a home, it could be small.

If your not into gardening, and you want it all hard standing paving, then you’ll realise how big it is when you get quotes from landscapers ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Size doesn't matter ;)

All that matters is it's big enough for what you want from it personally. If you're not a gardener and all you're looking for is space for a table and chairs then you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarachryan

I’ll make do so! Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

I’ll make do so! Thanks for the advice

You’ll make do :D

I think your in a lucky position and you’ll
    More than make do. You’ll realise how big it is when maintenance is required so keep on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just or clarification, OP, I presume you mean 120 square metres?

120 metres squared would be close to the size of Croke Park!

I would have thought 120 square metres an average size garden for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

We're in the process of buying and the garden was major for us.

I've not had the measuring tape out but i reckon its in the region of 500m2, if not a bit more.

The house is 100+ years old though. Money pit no doubt, but for us that amount of outside space just seems a dream. Neither of us can garden worth a damn however so its going to be a steep learning curve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Just outside of Dublin, ours is 45 m sq.
    We're happy enough with that. Not interested in a lot of garden maintenance. Our kids don't really play in the garden either.

Advertisement