Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert ?

Options
  • 24-08-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,
    I set myself a goal to get 590 points and I’ve promised myself back at the start of 6th year that I’d repeat if I got anywhere below that. The course I want to get into is medicine, but I didn’t get enough points in the HPAT this year. I thought I’d keep my options open just Incase I change my mind and do dental science( 590 points this year), or just to increase my chances of getting into medicine by a tiny bit. However a lot of it is just to get what I set out to get for personal satisfaction, if that makes any sense...
    I’m aware that my points may not go up next year but maths let me down and I’m hoping to focus on that. I got just under 580 points, which I’m happy with but I felt I could’ve done better, I was less than 1.5% off a h1 in two subjects and 0.5% in a third, which could’ve put me above 600.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, I feel a bit stubborn tbh but I’d like to better my Leaving Cert next year, the other option is a plc, and I’ll be repeating the HPAT also :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Plenty of choices available to you. Almost unlimited.

If medicine is your target, think of the several routes to get there that allow you to move forward. Repeating is just the same thing all over again.

I repeated back in 2010. I failed maths in 2009 so had to repeat.

All my grades went up the following year. I did next to no study.

You certainly seem to have your head screwed on a lot tighter than I did.

I can't advise of what's best for you, but repeating is far from a disaster.

I wish you well whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Abcryan123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I set myself a goal to get 590 points and I’ve promised myself back at the start of 6th year that I’d repeat if I got anywhere below that. The course I want to get into is medicine, but I didn’t get enough points in the HPAT this year. I thought I’d keep my options open just Incase I change my mind and do dental science( 590 points this year), or just to increase my chances of getting into medicine by a tiny bit. However a lot of it is just to get what I set out to get for personal satisfaction, if that makes any sense...
    I’m aware that my points may not go up next year but maths let me down and I’m hoping to focus on that. I got just under 580 points, which I’m happy with but I felt I could’ve done better, I was less than 1.5% off a h1 in two subjects and 0.5% in a third, which could’ve put me above 600.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, I feel a bit stubborn tbh but I’d like to better my Leaving Cert next year, the other option is a plc, and I’ll be repeating the HPAT also :)

First step would be to have the results which were close to a grade change rechecked, if successful, you will get upgraded and will qualify for whatever your first choice was , if not successful you can wait and see if your points qualify you for your chosen course (offers went out last week so you should know by now)

After that.... I would suggest the line of action you have already chosen, try to switch courses after a year.

Advertisement