Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A secure garden?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Am going to rent a house that has no front gate and a big back garden. It’ll cost a fortune to fence it as it’s two acres. There’s ditches and trees dividing the land from next door. Any advice regarding what’ll I do with the dog. He’s used to a Walled garden. Should I get a long leading with a stake in the ground ? What about those collar yokes that give them a prod if they go near the edge? Are they cruel ? The day I went to see it there was rabbits in the garden. I know if he sees one all discipline will be out the window and he’ll be gone like the wind

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Could you fence of managable size portion and take for supervised walks around the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Just to add.. those collar jokes aren't great,and I wouldn't leave a dog tied to a stake unless I was keeping an eye out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Could you fence of managable size portion and take for supervised walks around the rest?

Yes was thinking about that solution

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Just to add.. those collar jokes aren't great,and I wouldn't leave a dog tied to a stake unless I was keeping an eye out the window.

I’d be afraid he’d choke to be honest . I just wondered what people do in similar situations or are their dogs very well trained and never wander off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The wall at the front of my house is big enough to keep my dogs in but next doors gsd can easily jump over it. He pulls the legs from under the little dogs when they run causing injury so i have a large galvanised steel run that i had custom made for when dogs are outside unaccompanied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

We also have a very large garden. I have one part completely secured and it opens onto my home office so the dogs can be in the office with me when i am working or out in the garden playing relaxing.

When I am in the front of the house it is not as secure so if my Husky wants to be outside then she is on a secure line.. she is so used to it and just likes to sit out and watch the neighbours come home from work! Our puppy can be out there no problem as he cant jump like Nymeria and it is secure for a normal dog.. just not a husky.

I think securing a nice portion of garden for the dogs is your best bet. My guys can dig and go mad there and they have an agility course setup... the rest of the garden they are not allowed to dig and it is being landscaped to look lovely!

Advertisement