Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are figs ripe in Ireland?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭

There is a tree up the road on common ground and Its def a fig tree ...
    The figs are currently green

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ours in a polytunnel were ready in early July. Outside in a good year in a good location they should be ripening about now, but this year hasn't been very good. Outside often they don't ripen.

Then there's the issue of what crop this is. Figs have two they don't often have the second crop here but if they do it never ripens and leaves fruit about an inch in size on the plant in the autumn until the cold weather gets then and they fall off.

The only crop that ripens overwinters as embrio figs in buds on stems and then grows and final ripens late summer early autumn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Our fig tree is outdoors but in a sunny well protected spot. First couple of figs are ripe with the rest probably by end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭worded

This is the local tree, well its a few branches that are accessible

I’ve planted the Turkey variety as a small bush this year. I hear it likes to have restricted roots. Someone said a plastic big bin with holes but I don’t like the idea of roots potentially sucking up plastic via its roots ....

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ate half a dozen figs last night. tree close to the wall so protected. less this year than last year. so tasty .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

worded wrote: »
    This is the local tree, well its a few branches that are accessible

I’ve planted the Turkey variety as a small bush this year. I hear it likes to have restricted roots. Someone said a plastic big bin with holes but I don’t like the idea of roots potentially sucking up plastic via its roots ....

I think you only restrict the roots to restrict the size

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    I think you only restrict the roots to restrict the size

What I heard restricting roots gave a way better yield

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Brown Turkey is the best bet for the Irish climate. Restricting the roots does encourage the tree to go to fruit. At the same time you need plenty of drainage. Concrete slabs can be placed in the hole on all 4 sides, before the tree is planted, and plenty of rubble underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

What I wrote in my previous post was from memory, based on the video that can be watch on the following web page:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-plant-a-fig-tree/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

August~September.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Update form 2019 ...

Flash forward to today .......... I bought my own Fig tree a few years ago ! The leaves are quite cool. I get a hand full of figs every year and a lot dont ripen though. It depends on how hot the summer is. Lovely tree best grown in a bucket to restrain the roots so you dont end up with a tree as big as the house !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If planting outside a modern method is to plant in a buried washing machine drum. Restricts roots and allows for drainage.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement