Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I stand with mandatory overtime in the HSE?

Options
  • 23-08-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I'm a nurse and my Ward Manager has told us all that we have to do an intense training course in our own time because they cannot get cover for us.

My contract says I work 39 hours a week and am permanent. This means I'd be forced into doing nearly 60 hours that week. Surely that has to be illegal? We won't get paid for it but will get the time back when it suits them.

The worse thing is I wasn't always a nurse and I remember working for a company who were moving premises. They begged us to come in on our time off, paid us double on Saturday and treble time Sunday. They were very appreciative whereas here it's just expected and I feel like an awkward pos for just asking about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

60 hours in a single week is not illegal.

It's only illegal if you work more than 48 hours a week on average over 4 months.

In this case, it all comes down to the contractual requirements in regard to overtime. If your contract states that overtime is paid, then it must be paid.

If your contract states that you can be asked to work overtime, then they can ask you to do this, but the request must be reasonable. That is, they have to give you sufficient prior notice and give due regard to personal commitments. You cannot be expected to drop everything and rearrange your schedule at the last minute.

If you have something else booked in to do during that time which cannot be moved (even if it's just a party or something), then you can reasonably refuse. If you would have to make extraordinary arrangements (such as babysitters or taxis) in order to accommodate this overtime, they would be obliged to reasonably compensate you for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Is this mandatory training or cpd?
    Are you saying you are being asked to do 21 hours (3 days) of training on your off duty? What's your roster for the week in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Not sure of the specifics of a HSE contract, but I think it’s a reasonable request if they are offering time off in lieu and they haven’t sprung it on you at the last minute. Will you still have 11 rest hours between shifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

It's mandatory CPI training that is usually 2 10 hour days. It's on once a month until Christmas so we have to pick a week we aren't working them days and do it on our off days. For some people it could mean 6 days without seeing their kids. We usually work 2 13 hour shifts, a 10 hour and a 6 hour shift in the week. Usually together in a row.

I didn't know about the 11 hours between shifts but yeah it should be ok in that respect.

The union before told one of the nurses that if it was mandatory training we were entitled to do it on work hours. Obviously if it's voluntary you'd do it on your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

breadbin wrote: »
    It's mandatory CPI training that is usually 2 10 hour days. It's on once a month until Christmas so we have to pick a week we aren't working them days and do it on our off days. For some people it could mean 6 days without seeing their kids. We usually work 2 13 hour shifts, a 10 hour and a 6 hour shift in the week. Usually together in a row.

I didn't know about the 11 hours between shifts but yeah it should be ok in that respect.

The union before told one of the nurses that if it was mandatory training we were entitled to do it on work hours. Obviously if it's voluntary you'd do it on your own time.

By CPI training do you mean Violence & Aggeession training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    By CPI training do you mean Violence & Aggeession training?

Yep. A lot of roleplaying, shouting and stuff like that. I'd rather be in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

From your OP- You’re not getting paid but will get the time back. MAPPA training could save your life, or the life of a colleague. It’s not normally 10
    hours , ours was two days 9-4 with lots of breaks. I do the training and I think you should too. Make sure you do get the time back ASAP though.

Advertisement