Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you do with uncapped supers

Options
  • 22-08-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello,
    Apologies if this has been dealt with before but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

I've one hive that was starting out this year and due to them starting/weather, etc. they've got halfway through the super and there is a mixture of capped and upcapped honey. My query is...what do you do with these? Do you spin them to get nectar out before spinning for honey? Do you mix in with honey if less than a certain proportion?
    I don't really want to leave them on the bees as the last time i did this it was filled with ivy honey and i couldn't extract it.
    Just interested to know what other beekeepers do.
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Mellifera wrote: »
    Hello,
    Apologies if this has been dealt with before but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

I've one hive that was starting out this year and due to them starting/weather, etc. they've got halfway through the super and there is a mixture of capped and upcapped honey. My query is...what do you do with these? Do you spin them to get nectar out before spinning for honey? Do you mix in with honey if less than a certain proportion?
    I don't really want to leave them on the bees as the last time i did this it was filled with ivy honey and i couldn't extract it.
    Just interested to know what other beekeepers do.
    Thanks
    M
    Give the uncapped frames a good hard shake and if nothing drips out extract as normal. It's not unusual at all for ripe honey not to be capped, it's more down to the intensity and persistency of the flow and storage space than ripeness of honey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Give the uncapped frames a good hard shake and if nothing drips out extract as normal. It's not unusual at all for ripe honey not to be capped, it's more down to the intensity and persistency of the flow and storage space than ripeness of honey

And if you want a guarantee that the honey is ripe, borrow a honey refractometer to check for the moisture content.

I have extracted unripe honey before, it started to ferment in 3 months. you can eat it before that ;) Or make mead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭victor8600

Also unfinished supers can be placed under brood boxes for bees to move the honey up into brood frames.

Advertisement