Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very uncomfortable seats in the Skoda Octavia

Options
  • 22-08-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I rented an Octavia last weekend as I was driving to Donegal from Dublin and didn't fancy doing it in my 1.2 litre Fiesta, so I wanted to rent something more suitable with cruse control, android auto etc etc.

I was given a 2018 Octavia petrol from Enterprise, the 1.2 turbo I believe, lovely car in almost every way, but my god after doing 90 mins or so of the 3 hour drive my lower back was in bits. The return journey 2 days later made it even worse and here I am 4 days since dropping the car off and I'm still hurting.

I've googled it and it seems that maybe Skoda are known for this issue. It's such a shame, as I love almost everything else about the car and would've considered buying one as my next car, but no chance am I doing it now. By comparison I did a similar journey to Ballina from Dublin a few weeks ago and I was given an Opel Grandland X and I had no such problems. The seats were fantastic.

I had actually rented an Octavia a few months ago as well and had similar problems with the seats, but not as severe as this time.

Are there any particular manufacturers that are known for their good or bad seats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have this model Octavia and I can't say I have any issues with the seats. I've yet to do a very long drive in it, though.

Still, I'd have my Passat back in a heartbeat given the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Drive a 2014 Skoda as a taxi, no problems, sure you don't have an underlying medical reason that would warrant investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Drive a 2014 Skoda as a taxi, no problems, sure you don't have an underlying medical reason that would warrant investigation?

I doubt it, as the only car I've ever has this problem in is an Octavia, as I said I did a similar long journey in an Opel recently and had no problems.

I fiddled with the seats, more lumbar support, less lumbar supports, raised the seat and lowered. None of which seemed to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have similar issue with lack of lumbar support. We have a basic spec Golf van which has better lumbar adjustment.
    Have tried the passenger seat on mine and it’s the same so not a fault as such.
    Seats themselves are comfy just a lack of lower back support.

I can solve it myself but it’s surprising that it’s an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OP,
    Get a drive in a Mondeo.
    You could drive to hell and back and still feel good.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    OP,
    Get a drive in a Mondeo.
    You could drive to hell and back and still feel good.

Agreed. Well you’d be comfortable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

roguey wrote: »
    I rented an Octavia last weekend as I was driving to Donegal from Dublin and didn't fancy doing it in my 1.2 litre Fiesta, so I wanted to rent something more suitable with cruse control, android auto etc etc.

I was given a 2018 Octavia petrol from Enterprise, the 1.2 turbo I believe, lovely car in almost every way, but my god after doing 90 mins or so of the 3 hour drive my lower back was in bits. The return journey 2 days later made it even worse and here I am 4 days since dropping the car off and I'm still hurting.

I've googled it and it seems that maybe Skoda are known for this issue. It's such a shame, as I love almost everything else about the car and would've considered buying one as my next car, but no chance am I doing it now. By comparison I did a similar journey to Ballina from Dublin a few weeks ago and I was given an Opel Grandland X and I had no such problems. The seats were fantastic.

I had actually rented an Octavia a few months ago as well and had similar problems with the seats, but not as severe as this time.

Are there any particular manufacturers that are known for their good or bad seats?

Volvo's have always had a reputation for excellent seats - but may well be more then you want to spend .

Seats are a very personal thing so id try different cars.

On the seats as a personal thing - I find Ford Kugas to be pretty damn good - but someone on here actually found the Kuga to give the same type of issue you describe although it was the body roll on cornering that was part of issue.

Every Mondeo I've ever been in had a decent seat - not tried a current model Mondeo though but Vectras description pretty much sums up every Mondeo I've sat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

----

Deleted, the OP already tried my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

+1 for the Mondeo
    Volvo - way too harsh on my last car
    Renault - very comfy (important as I often spent time waiting for the tow truck)
    Hyundai Santa Fe - excellent
    Sorrento - excellent
    BMW- excellent
    Skoda -also excellent

I guess it's a lot about body shape and height v width etc. However, I had my hip replaced a few years ago so it's a big buying factor for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had a 1.2 Octavia on hire for s trip from Kerry to Dublin.
    The small engine was the issue as opposed to the seat.
    Had an 07 Octavia before, 1.6 and did 70k including Kerry to Donegal and back without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭jmreire

4 Skoda's in the family.... 2 x Octavia's, 2 x Superb's but so far no complaint's about the seat's,,,,,,and they are all well driven, putting up hundred's of KLM's weekly. But I could understand that maybe some one else would have different experience with them.You could say that about most car's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

But the boot is huge and its a Volkswagen underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Seats in the superb I find excellent but I suppose everyone is different i had a golf comfortline and found the seats terrible cud never get comfortable in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'd suggest sticking with the 1.2 Fiesta, owning any car in this country is so expensive so try and knock as much value out of its fixed costs than having to rent another for longer journeys. Don't see the reason why a 1.2 Fiesta couldn't handle the trip but a bigger car with the same engine could, 1.2 petrol in an Octavia sounds so underpowered and you'd probably get better performance with the Fiesta.

In terms of seat comfort it could be a case of what you're used to so Fiesta should help in that line also. I've never driven an Octavia so can't comment on the seats, I've driven Volvos for the past 10 years and find them good but pretty low average mileage with the occasional long journey.

If I was to rent a car for weekend treat it would be nice to get something like a Jag XJ, S class Merc or 7 series BMW but probably astronomical money even if you could get one. What did the Octavia cost for the 3 or so days as a matter of interest.

I'd suggest sticking with the 1.2 Fiesta, owning any car in this country is so expensive so try and knock as much value out of its fixed costs than having to rent another for longer journeys. Don't see the reason why a 1.2 Fiesta couldn't handle the trip but a bigger car with the same engine could, 1.2 petrol in an Octavia sounds so underpowered and you'd probably get better performance with the Fiesta.
    1.2 Fiesta 0-100kmph 15.9 seconds
    1.2 Octavia 0-100kmph 11.9 seconds.

Neither is fast but the Fiesta is a snail in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    1.2 Fiesta 0-100kmph 15.9 seconds
    1.2 Octavia 0-100kmph 11.9 seconds.

Neither is fast but the Fiesta is a snail in comparison.

Jees that's pretty shocking, surprised the Fiesta is so poor in comparison. Guess it's down to improvements in engine performance over the years.
    Looked up the specs of my own 12 year old Volvo and that's at 0-100kmph 8.8 seconds which I wouldn't consider fast. Same cc and similar bhp in the newer models have it down to 7.2 seconds

The Octavia is turbocharged. The fiesta is a revised 90s engine so probably had to be detuned to meet modern emissions standards.

Both the Fiesta and Octavia 1.2 engines have since been superseded by 1.0 3 cylinder engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭jmreire

You can't compare modern 1.0 ltr engine's with earlier one's... for sure !!! LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

I had a VW 1.4 2004 Golf and I always found the lumbar support painful on my back for any journey over 1 hour. Never had an issue with any other call seat. Wonder if its a VAG design issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

freddieot wrote: »
    +1 for the Mondeo
    Volvo - way too harsh on my last car
    Renault - very comfy (important as I often spent time waiting for the tow truck)
    Hyundai Santa Fe - excellent
    Sorrento - excellent
    BMW- excellent
    Skoda -also excellent

I guess it's a lot about body shape and height v width etc. However, I had my hip replaced a few years ago so it's a big buying factor for me personally.

I went down to start up my Mondeo yesterday as it's off the road and then got back into my S40 and thought it was miles ahead on comfort compared to the Mondeo.

Renault are okay, maybe the newer stuff is better. Love the rear seats on the f10 5 series but not as keen on the front.

Had an early 00s Camry when travelling abroad recently and found it very comfortable, if not the most comfortable car I've owned. I also sometimes had the use of a old EG Civic before I got the Camry, that was beyond bad :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement