Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Food

Options
  • 22-08-2019 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So I am due to inherit two Shih Tzus from my parents - they are about 8 and 6 years of age. They have been fed Pedigree basically all their lives which I am aware is obviously not good for them so have decided I want to start the process of changing them to a new food.

My question is do I go for dry or wet? The older dog is on the skinny side (but nothing that the vet is concerned about) and seems to have a more sensitive tummy. What are the best brands?

Any info would be really helpful as I hope to transition them soon.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've such a soft spot for Shih Tsus :o
    I would think at this stage that getting them to eat dry food will be quite a challenge. Luckily, there are some really fab wet foods available with a high meat content, unlike Pedigree!
    I feed Rocco to my dogs, specifically their sensitive range because it's the lowest in fat. It's a zooplus own brand.
    Naturediet is also a favourite of mine. Well... Of my dogs :D
    But have a potter around zooplus because they've an impressive range of wet foods and I'm sure one of them will tick the boxes for you :)
    I order from zooplus.ie for various reasons, I know others here always ordered from the co.uk site, others from the de site, but I think zooplus have made it really difficult or impossible to order from anything other than the ie site from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

naturo is quite good quality at affordable price grain and cereal free as well

with a bit of mixing you may have joy with wet and dry

and of course we need pics asap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    I feed Rocco to my dogs, specifically their sensitive range because it's the lowest in fat. It's a zooplus own brand.
    Naturediet is also a favourite of mine. Well... Of my dogs :D

They have new diet care Rocco varieties now and there’s a weight control one that’s lower in fat than sensitive - only in 400g cans though!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Our fella has been on Lily's kitchen since a pup not an issue and he has a fantastic coat etc.
    Vet was impressed with ingredients.
    The key thing is to phase any new food in slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CreepOfTheWeek

Ok, so wet food might be the way to go. I don't want to upset an already sensitive tummy by completely changing type. I've been looking at Zooplus and it definitely looks great there's just SO much choice! I'm thinking of picking up a few samples and seeing what they go for and how it affects the tummy but will make sure that the transition is slow from Pedigree to the new food. Basically, I should be looking for high meat/protein content? I wanted to start changing them now before they come to live with me permanently as I feel too much change all at once could stress them out.

Although they are the most lovely dogs. Such good temperments and are like eternal puppies.

I think I might have managed to attach a few pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could always go for a sensitive food to be safe? So the Rocco brand that DBB and myself mentioned comes in a gastrointestinal version. I alternate between Rocco / nature diet for Bailey if I forget to defrost his raw food / if I think he might be having a flare up (he has mild pancreatitis). From tying a few zoo plus brands recently Integra / Rocco / Concept for life seem to be the same but the prices vary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Aw! They're like tiny teddies!

Advertisement