Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning Kettle BBQ (Charcoal)

• 21-08-2019 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Apologies if this is not the right tread but I am looking to see how everybody else cleans their kettle charcoal BBQs and keeps them in good condition.

I use mine regularly enough and almost always have it set up for indirect heat and use a drip tray. If its only been a little while since I last used it I will clean the grate using a BBQ cleaning wire brush after it has heated up but if i am not planning to use it for a while I will bring the grate in and give it a thorough clean in the sick.

I find that every 9 or 10 times I use it the inside of the kettle gets very dirty and sticky. It can be a pain to clean, the first time I used steel wool but this was tough on the enamel so don't do that any more and in future will probably use brillo pads which don't seem to be as abrasive.

Just wondering what everyone else does with regards to cleaning and maintaining their charcoal bbq?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Scrunched up tin foil on the inside of the lid & a soft brush to clean up ash & dust in the coal chamber. Good wire brush & lot of heat to clean the grill grate

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

neris wrote: »
    Scrunched up tin foil on the inside of the lid & a soft brush to clean up ash & dust in the coal chamber. Good wire brush & lot of heat to clean the grill grate

Thanks for the reply and advice. What I am really struggling with is the insides of below the grate. Its horrible sticks stuff that seems impossible to get off. Wondering if there is some trick that I am missing? I presume over cleaner would work? Does anybody use that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭squonk

I guess it’s old grease. I’d try a grease cleaner like cilit bang. Otherwise I’d use quite hot water and washing up liquid and a light scourer. I wouldn’t go too heavy and it depends on your kettle. Ive a weber I bought recently so haven’t had to tackle that yet but I was think8ng if doing this before I put it away for winter.

Advertisement