Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Job - Clerical

Options
  • 21-08-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been offered a position for a clerical officer in my local council.

The wage is starting at the Grade 1 scale of 23,587 wondering has anyone any expexperience with working in the PS?

Do increments come every year and if so how much of an increment would you get?

Im trying to weigh up the Pros and cons at the minute but wondering anyone working can give me any advice pros cons etc?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been offered a position for a clerical officer in my local council.

The wage is starting at the Grade 1 scale of 23,587 wondering has anyone any expexperience with working in the PS?

Do increments come every year and if so how much of an increment would you get?

Im trying to weigh up the Pros and cons at the minute but wondering anyone working can give me any advice pros cons etc?

Thanks in advance,

Every year on anniversary of your start date you get an increment. Pay scale is as follows:

Grade 3 – Clerical Officer/ Library Assistant
    23,587 – 25,136 – 25,519 – 26,293 – 27,423 – 28,557 – 29,690 – 30,513 – 31,603 – 32,689 – 33,459 – 34,538 – 35,621 – 37,661 – LSI 39,109

So every year you go up a point on the scale..except for the last one where you wait 3 years from second last point...you would hopefully have been promoted / moved on up by that stage..

Grade salary scales here:
    https://www.forsa.ie/about-forsa/divisions/local-government/local-government-salary-scales/

Pros: Security, flexible hours, years increments, support for training, banks take kindly to you for loans, family friendly policies, fulfilment of serving the country / county. and lots more..

Cons: You'll never get rich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Zipppy wrote: »
    Every year on anniversary of your start date you get an increment. Pay scale is as follows:

Grade 3 – Clerical Officer/ Library Assistant
    23,587 – 25,136 – 25,519 – 26,293 – 27,423 – 28,557 – 29,690 – 30,513 – 31,603 – 32,689 – 33,459 – 34,538 – 35,621 – 37,661 – LSI 39,109

So every year you go up a point on the scale..except for the last one where you wait 3 years from second last point...you would hopefully have been promoted / moved on up by that stage..

Grade salary scales here:
    https://www.forsa.ie/about-forsa/divisions/local-government/local-government-salary-scales/

Pros: Security, flexible hours, years increments, support for training, banks take kindly to you for loans, family friendly policies, fulfilment of serving the country / county. and lots more..

Cons: You'll never get rich

Doing clerk work anywhere won't make you rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Do you have to apply through the competition each year? Or can you apply when you see a role coming up on public jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Do you have to apply through the competition each year? Or can you apply when you see a role coming up on public jobs?

Normally clerical officer competition every year for civil service.
    But ... local authorities, HSE, state agencies, Institutes of Tech, etc etc quite often admdvertise roles at any stage so just keeping looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Mine was a clerical competition from 2 years ago. I had the application form and the aptitude test but got the interview offer then about 2 months ago so it took 2 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement