Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Transfer of Files, PC to Android

Options
  • 20-08-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭

I have a folder of comics and ebooks that I want to transfer to move to a specific folder in root on the phone.

Im sick of faffing around with Dropbox and Google Drive, they're just too annoying and I swear Ill find a better way every time I have to use them.

So whats a better way? I just want to be able to transfer stuff without plugging in a cable, over data or wifi. As close to dragging and dropping in Windows as possible, is it doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Many android file managers can deal with windows shares, etc etc

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

WiFi Explorer is always one of my first installs on a new device. Launch it and it creates a temporary web server that allows you upload and download from the device (through any web browser). Close it and it's gone. As long as you're on the same network and the device you're transferring files from has a web browser, it's a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why don't Dropbox or Google Drive just let you copy a file or folder and paste it onto the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Windows has a 'Samba' service builtin.

You could connect to it with the likes of 'Solid Explorer' on android and copy your files across. (over wifi).

Normally, I do it the other way around, from Android to PC.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Thanks for all the suggestions but is there anything like Dropbox or Google Drive thats 'always on' and doesn't require me to be setting up connections between 2 devices every time just to do it as well as having to switch on the pc etc. I want to be able to open something like Dropbox, click on a folder or file and either copy it and paste it to the phones storage or else tell it to download to a specific location, I can't believe I can't find a solution to this in 2019 tbh.

• Advertisement

^^^ With 'Solid' once you setup and configured your passwords etc, it remembers the setting for the next time for that PC.

Setup once and use multiple times with the same PC.
    You can even bookmark a windows folder. For read and write access to windows, files I believe need to be in a 'user' (or a shared) directory.
    switch on the pc etc.

PC would need to be powered in standby(screen off) for access to storage on that device.

What are you needs exactly, a portable WIFI Filehub might meet your needs.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Video below from 2013!

Transfer files wirelessly between android and Windows PC using solid explorer (SMB Connection).

If your looking for some automated syncing of files?

Below From 2014!

Sync files wirelessly between your PC and Android with MyPhoneExplorer

^^^ Haven't tried above and don't know if the apps are still available and work with latest android versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions but is there anything like Dropbox or Google Drive thats 'always on' and doesn't require me to be setting up connections between 2 devices every time just to do it as well as having to switch on the pc etc. I want to be able to open something like Dropbox, click on a folder or file and either copy it and paste it to the phones storage or else tell it to download to a specific location, I can't believe I can't find a solution to this in 2019 tbh.

In Dropbox you highlight the file and click Save to device. It's very straightforward and there's no need for other software, apps or video tutorials.

^^^ Video tutorial was just to demonstrate that the method was available for years.
    Im sick of faffing around with Dropbox and Google Drive
    In Dropbox you highlight the file and click Save to device.

He already mentioned he didn't want to use that, your relying on remote server, to upload and download files.
    Where as with 'Samba' can be done locally, possibly with android file managers you already have.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    He already mentioned he didn't want to use that, your relying on remote server, to upload and download files.
    Where as with 'Samba' can be done locally, possibly with android file managers you already have.
    Why don't Dropbox or Google Drive just let you copy a file or folder and paste it onto the device?

He/she actually said they wanted to use Dropbox. Which is not only possible but simple. Select the file and save to device, in whatever folder you want.

Yeah I know that obviously thats what Dropbox is but what if you have 200 files? What if I had one of my work projects thats dozens of nested folders containing hundreds of files? Neither Google Drive or Dropbox do folders, you have to do each file individually, that makes them useless. Same for having to sit down at a pc and set up a network every time, I might as well plug in the USB cable in that case, less hassle.

Yeah I know that obviously thats what Dropbox is but what if you have 200 files? What if I had one of my work projects thats dozens of nested folders containing hundreds of files? Neither Google Drive or Dropbox do folders, you have to do each file individually, that makes them useless. Same for having to sit down at a pc and set up a network every time, I might as well plug in the USB cable in that case, less hassle.

In Dropbox you can select all the files in a folder and save them to your device.

Dropbox is fine for the occasional file/folder.

Work Files speaks of confidential content that you may not want to put on cloud server?

Dropbox cost money for additional storage.

Dropbox also dependent on the speed of your Internet and any possible data limits (Uploading and the downloading to the other device). Yes you could possibly store the folders (on your device) you wanted sync in the dropbox folder so they are always in sync with the cloud.

Using SAMBA is more efficient, because your not uploading/downloading the files to the cloud.

But i also suggest using WIFI Filehub. Storing your data on a hub, that is accessible to any device on the network. Instead of having to sync your data across devices.

The version I linked is a portable version and you can connect and power external USB Drives and read SDCARD's.

So if the goal is have portable work files, have at look how your approaching your practice of storing them.

In Dropbox you can select all the files in a folder and save them to your device.
    Its not good enough okay? This thread is me asking for alternatives because using Dropbox on my project folders full of files and nested folders would literally take days using Dropbox's sh1tty selection and download system, its a non-runner, Ive tried explaining this to you a few times, the OP lays out my problem in 3 simple lines if you want to read it but now Im just going to give up and leave you to your Dropbox trolling okay?

Does anyone know if Megaupload or some other service could give me what Im looking for? There used to be frontend style apps for Dropbox that would let you move folders around a while ago but they all disappeared, maybe something like that or for Google Drive?

Not wanting to sit at your pc and interact with the process is limiting possible options.

Must methods (except samba) would probably require some bit of confirmation on the PC to start/trigger the transfer.

Example app: -

[Play] Portal - WiFi File Transfers
    Features:
    ★ Transfer individual files, multiple files, or entire folders at once
    ★ Easily browse, open, or share the files you've put on your phone
    ★ Pictures transferred with Portal are automatically put into your phone's Gallery
    ★ Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later: have Portal save files to your removable SD card!

With 'Samba' and 'Solid Explorer' (maybe others), you can do it from your phone. Solid has a two pane system, where you can transfer from one directory to another (on android device directory, and your pc folders in the other), select the files/folders you want copy/move across and hit transfer.
    It is also possible pick multiple files and drag them across.

Unlike other file apps, setting up the SMB connection is by host name and IP of your pc is detected by the app. So if you shutdown pc and reconnect later on a different assigned ip, the app still resolves ip address and establishes the connection. I created the connection in January and still working this month.

Its not good enough okay? This thread is me asking for alternatives because using Dropbox on my project folders full of files and nested folders would literally take days using Dropbox's sh1tty selection and download system, its a non-runner, Ive tried explaining this to you a few times, the OP lays out my problem in 3 simple lines if you want to read it but now Im just going to give up and leave you to your Dropbox trolling okay?

Does anyone know if Megaupload or some other service could give me what Im looking for? There used to be frontend style apps for Dropbox that would let you move folders around a while ago but they all disappeared, maybe something like that or for Google Drive?

My humble apologies. You see, in my eagerness to troll for Dropbox I failed to infer from your OP that by 'folder' you meant multiple nested folders. Silly me.

I'll take my trolling elsewhere.

If your still looking for a cloud solution!?

Most are expensive and require a monthly/yearly fee for storage/data.

This is getting positive feedback online and has FTP access, along with Folder Synchronization.

https://www.drivehq.com/

^^^ Not affiliated with it and have never used it.

Another option would to be fork out for some web hosting and setup it up with FTP access. Need to be familiar with Website hosting and setup.

Advertisement