Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a dog I found

Options
  • 20-08-2019 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I seen a dog last Saturday that was clearly lost and hungry so I took him in , I’ve done everything I could to find it’s owner from posting in groups to even asking in houses near where I found him but no joy

I got his microchip checked but the vet can’t find his number on the data base, what does this mean ? Like he’s chipped then surely it would be on the system ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

He may have come from a puppy farm and therefore have a canine ireland chip which isnt worth the plastic its made of. What do you intend doing with the dog? Do you want to keep him/her or surrender him/her to a rescue? If you want to keep you must leave your details and the dogs with the garda station local to where you found the dog and the owner has a year and a day from that date to claim the dog back from you. After that time has passed the dog is yours. Otherwise you can take the dog to a pound and after 5 days you can adopt the dog back and it is then yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Well done you OP for taking in this dog
    It is very common for dogs to be chipped but not registered - legally dogs have to be chipped, the new owner is responsible for making sure that the chip is registered under their name/address etc - doesnt always happen :mad:
    As Cherry Blossom says, if you are going to keep him, he will not be yours until you have had him for 366 days
    Where do you live - contact the local vets, rescues, gardai and pet stores and groomers - check out the various lost dog pages on facebook - there are heaps:
    - Lors Lost Dogs
    - lost and found dogs
    - lost dogs ireland
    - etc
    (search for lost dogs Ireland on facebook)

If you do want to keep him, and bring him to your local pound, you can as Cherry Blossom says, adopt him if unclaimed after 5 days. He is then officially your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Thanks for the replies. He’s a really nice sheep type dog and I would really like to keep him but I have a male rottie already and tbh it’s a bit of hassle at the moment, he’s out in the back yard and I can’t let my own dog out there as he’s kind of jealous, so basically yes I’ll have to give the dog up. Not only that I’m also moving homes soon so it will be near impossible to rent a house with 3 dog (it’s hard enough as it is with a big rottie)

I live in Kerry and was told by the pound that they don’t have room for him at the moment. I don’t want him put down or anything so I don’t know what to do

I have a feeling the dog was dumped because he’s skin and bone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. He’s a really nice sheep type dog and I would really like to keep him but I have a male rottie already and tbh it’s a bit of hassle at the moment, he’s out in the back yard and I can’t let my own dog out there as he’s kind of jealous, so basically yes I’ll have to give the dog up. Not only that I’m also moving homes soon so it will be near impossible to rent a house with 3 dog (it’s hard enough as it is with a big rottie)

I live in Kerry and was told by the pound that they don’t have room for him at the moment. I don’t want him put down or anything so I don’t know what to do

I have a feeling the dog was dumped because he’s skin and bone

Well done for caring and hope it gets sorted for you and him.

This is very difficult. Kind person like you finds a dog in trouble, cant keep because of own dog and house circumstances. What to do

At least the dog is being fed for a little bit, well done for that.

I believe if you go to the pound to surrender the dog, you found straying, the pound has to take it.

So many collies are being dumped

This will draw angry responses but I would prefer a dog to be PTS rather than dumped to stray, starving and terrified and alone.

Not fair that kind people who take in dumped dogs cant get support from our pounds.

OP are there any animal rescues nearby that you can phone for advice

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    This is very difficult. Kind person like you finds a dog in trouble, cant keep because of own dog and house circumstances. What to do

At least the dog is being fed for a little bit, well done for that.

I believe if you go to the pound to surrender the dog, you found straying, the pound has to take it.

So many collies are being dumped

This will draw angry responses but I would prefer a dog to be PTS rather than dumped to stray, starving and terrified and alone.

Not fair that kind people who take in dumped dogs cant get support from our pounds.

OP are there any animal rescues nearby that you can phone for advice

I rang the pound again today , they are gonna try to find his chip number and get back to me. They said they’ll take him in tomorrow if there’s no joy with that so not too bad , I don’t want him PTS though , I was told that the pound don’t do that anymore , is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I rang the pound again today , they are gonna try to find his chip number and get back to me. They said they’ll take him in tomorrow if there’s no joy with that so not too bad , I don’t want him PTS though , I was told that the pound don’t do that anymore , is this true ?

He will be put to sleep if after 5 days he has not found a home.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    He will be put to sleep if after 5 days he has not found a home.

Are you sure ? I’ve been told 100% that they don’t do that anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Contact a local rescue.

Well if he isn't rehomed they keep for normally 5 to 10 days if they aren't removed by a rescue centre or the owners. Numbers are down apparently they don't PTS as many as they used to but yes they are still PTS. Rescue centre would be the best not the pound if you could avoid it.

• Advertisement

Well if he isn't rehomed they keep for normally 5 to 10 days if they aren't removed by a rescue centre or the owners. Numbers are down apparently they don't PTS as many as they used to but yes they are still PTS. Rescue centre would be the best not the pound if you could avoid it.

OP I work with a rescue in Co Kildare. We collect dogs every week from the Pound so that no dogs are put to sleep unless they are too dangerous or are too ill. The kill rate in Kildare is very much less then 10%

You can ask your Pound when you speak to them tomorrow, about their kill rate. Have you contacted local rescues to see if they will take him, but the rescue I work with, legally may not take dogs who have not gone through the pound for their regulatory 5 days...

OP I work with a rescue in Co Kildare. We collect dogs every week from the Pound so that no dogs are put to sleep unless they are too dangerous or are too ill. The kill rate in Kildare is very much less then 10%

You can ask your Pound when you speak to them tomorrow, about their kill rate. Have you contacted local rescues to see if they will take him, but the rescue I work with, legally may not take dogs who have not gone through the pound for their regulatory 5 days...

You work in a rescue centre in Kildare you would be able to advise a centre in Kerry. Thats great. Yes kill rates are way down on previous years but euthanasia still does happen but like I said the numbers are much better.

Excuse me?!?!?

As I said in my reply to the OP, he should ask his Pound what their kill rate was

Not sure why youre getting irate.

Only if you knew a centre in the area you
    Could advise. That's all.

Crikey.

Best of luck op. Heres to a happy outcome for your guest.

Not sure why youre getting irate.

Only if you knew a centre in the area you
    Could advise. That's all.

Crikey.

Best of luck op. Heres to a happy outcome for your guest.

APologies, I misread your reply :o

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

"243 of the 645 dogs taken in to the Limerick Dog Shelter in 2016 were put down, representing a kill rate of more than three times the national average.

Figures released by the Department of Rural and Community Development to the Irish Times show that the shelter, which is operated by Limerick City and County Council, put down 37.5 per cent of the dogs it received in 2016, compared to a national rate of 12.1 per cent. The rate in Dublin was 3.8 per cent.

The local authorities with the next highest euthanasia rates were Kerry with 25.5 per cent and Tipperary with 24.4 per cent."

The above was taken from an article in the Limerick Post from January 2018.
    Yes, it's 3 years ago and the numbers of dogs PTS has decreased but these 3 counties mentioned above are still way above the national average, even today.

Some county pounds work very actively with their local rescues, other pounds seem to be a law onto themselves and operate in very closed circumstances.

OP, thank you for all you've done so far for this doggo. I hope a kind rescue might help you out. I'd avoid the pound in your area if at all possible.

Still have him anyway , he’s going to have to go during the weekend though. My own dog is really upset now.

I’m not going to bring him to the pound though if the kill rates are that high here , there’s a rescue called <snip> here , haven’t the best reviews though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Can you call round some rescues and see if they have space to pull the dog after he's done his 5 days?

Even if they don't have space now, they might be able to ask for fosters on sm so that they can take him out after his 5 days.

He’s gone to a rescue today , he went to the vet first and got flea/worm dose . Kennel cough and his shots, kind of miss him now if I’m honest :(

He’s gone to a rescue today , he went to the vet first and got flea/worm dose . Kennel cough and his shots, kind of miss him now if I’m honest :(

Well done for all you did for this dog. I hope karma is real for nice people like you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

With all the horrendous stories of animal abuse we hear daily, it's a breath of fresh air to hear about people like you. Thank you for all you did to help that doggy, bless your kind heart. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement