Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic insulation in walls

Options
  • 20-08-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Currently planning to block up an internal double door in a solid block wall.
    Will be separating a tv room and utility room so we are terrified we will be able to hear the washing machine and tumble dryer.
    I was leaning toward keeping the wall uniform and use solid blocks but I have an electrician buddy who tells me i'd be mad not to fill it with a stud partition stuffed with rock wool.

Anyone have any experience with this as to which may have better acoustic properties or a better solution altogether?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Both will be very similar in my experience.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Block wall with plaster finish would have better sound insulation in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Interested Bystander

Have done plenty of reading on STC ratings but i'm not sure the type of noise washing machines and tumble dryers make is less than 125hz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Block wall with plaster finish would have better sound insulation in my opinion

+1, no question
    the stud will inevitable shrink, leaving fine cracks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement