Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough experience

Options
  • 20-08-2019 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have an undergrad degree and postgraduate dip, I have allot of experience but most of it is unpaid, I found it really hard to get work so did allot of volunteering in the area I wanted to work in, offered to work for free in some places to get experience and have completed allot of unpaid work placements while in college.
    Ive found all this experience great for getting onto courses but in terms of getting employment, its been useless.
    I have handed a cv into an old work experience placement a few months ago, I had been working a paid position related to my degree for the previous few months but the contract was temporary so when that I ended I was very eager to find anything else.
    So, when I dropped in the cv I got speaking to the manager, explained how I had been working in related area etc - manager perked up and said 'oh - a real job?' 'A paid job?' I said yes, of course and she began taking me a little more seriously. Told me that someone can have all the qualifications but it means nothing, she only looks for experience.

I recently had an interview in which I applied to through a lengthy application form in which I included all my experience, education etc
    The questions in the interview were very obviously tailored for candidates with much more experience than I have despite the role requiring a much lower level of education. I answered the questions as best I could but for some of them, I had to be honest and admit to the interviewers that I have not yet had the opportunity to gain experience in that area.

It almost feels like employers are dismissive of people with degrees and qualifications more so than they are to people without, like they think we some how feel entitled and like we think we know everything and theyre delighted when we get things wrong or dont know all the answers, like our degrees are useless and a waste of time -
    In reality we all have to start somewhere and the qualifications might not give us all the knowledge and experience but they do give us a good starting point and an in dept knowledge of the area in which we want to pursue a career, they also show dedication, willingness to sacrifice and work hard for the career we chose and also a deeper knowledge starting out compared to someone starting out with no qualifications - why is this seen as a bad thing?

I sacrificed so much to get my qualification's, I studied for 6 years and lived with little to no money as I wanted it so much, I never felt that I had an entitlement to any position or that im better than anyone without the qualifications, I know I have allot to learn but to learn, I need experience, I cant get experience if no one will give it to me and employers only seem interested in hiring people who are already experienced - unless they know the person very well either through a relation or family friend.
    Why are employers not willing to give people a chance or support people in growing and developing in their career?

Just to add ive applied to other jobs, sold my strengths and transferable skills but I cant even get interviews in other areas, ive heard this from other graduates too who are struggling getting work, like their degrees are actually stopping them from getting work in this country.

Employers here dont value or appreciate education is seems - is it any wonder so many of our educated young people emigrate?
    As a country we're offering free and affordable third level education to intelligent Irish people only to refuse them work, look down on their education, undervalue it and force them to emigrate, it's the Irish employers and the economy that are loosing out as a result.

Both my parents walked into their jobs with no qualifications or experience, they come from a time when employers worked with their colleagues, supported them and helped them to learn the ropes. Why is it different now? Its like they have reached the top and instead of helping people starting out, theyve pulled up the ladder.

I dont want to emigrate, it's such a hard thing to do, setting up a new life in another country, the loneliness that will follow, ive always been prone to depression and anxiety issues and emigrating will no doubt trigger this but I feel like I have no choice at this stage.
    For a first world country, why are so many people - particularly graduates, struggling to find work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Both your qualifications are level 8. Which is the new leaving Cert, because practically everybody has a level 8.

Harsh, but that’s what happens when everybody goes to college, and colleges have become what the modern world has made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lapis Luzali

endacl wrote: »
    Both your qualifications are level 8. Which is the new leaving Cert, because practically everybody has a level 8.

Harsh, but that’s what happens when everybody goes to college, and colleges have become what the modern world has made them.

I would pursue a level 9 if I thought it would help me to get employment but honestly, I really don't think that it will, I am not currently willing to spend another 5 - 10 grand on another course that employers will not even consider.

I would personally love to do a masters, I really enjoy education and my field of study, but I dont have the financial means to do a masters for the sake of it.

I know plenty of people with masters and PHD's who also struggle to find work and are unemployed, working in their family owned bar, restaurant or other relatives business or have simply emigrated for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Teaching is a tough gig to crack, and has been recognised as such for the previous number of years. Although there has been stirrings of more and more demand for teachers in the last few months but they might not be in places that suit you.

Would you relocate in Ireland for a job? Since you mentioned you weren't keen on immigrating, this could be an alternative?

I don't necessarily think it's a case of employers not giving people chances, but for IT for example, a lot of people who are fresh graduates simply are not as good as they think they are and the bar is not insanely high. We hire graduates where I work and I've interviewed dozens of graduates over the last number of years, and for every strong candidate, there are 3 that you'd wonder what they were doing for their years in college. And some of them have great grades!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lapis Luzali

RedXIV wrote: »
    Teaching is a tough gig to crack, and has been recognised as such for the previous number of years. Although there has been stirrings of more and more demand for teachers in the last few months but they might not be in places that suit you.

Would you relocate in Ireland for a job? Since you mentioned you weren't keen on immigrating, this could be an alternative?

I don't necessarily think it's a case of employers not giving people chances, but for IT for example, a lot of people who are fresh graduates simply are not as good as they think they are and the bar is not insanely high. We hire graduates where I work and I've interviewed dozens of graduates over the last number of years, and for every strong candidate, there are 3 that you'd wonder what they were doing for their years in college. And some of them have great grades!!

The shortages of teachers are down to the introduction of the expensive 2 year PME as its a huge financial barrier for people.
    The shortages are also only effecting certain subjects such as Irish, this is due to the ridiculous, costly and mandatory trip to the gaeltacht which students just cant afford on top of their fees, travel and cost of living.
    Adding to this, our qualified teachers are emigrating in droves because of the lack of permanent jobs within the teaching profession, schools are very unwilling to offer work to new graduates and only give work to teachers they know either through friends or relatives.
    The teaching profession is over run with nepotism and corruption - unqualified tutors have been known to get jobs over qualified teachers because they know someone important on the panel.
    Schools generally mess subs around. Subs have little to no rights so have no voice.
    There are also a number of schools that are known to struggle to get subs, this often down to the school being known for messing subs around, having a terrible working environment and being difficult to work for.

In terms of relocating, I have applied for jobs all over the country, from Galway to Waterford, Clare, small towns and cities but to relocate I need to ensure that I am applying for jobs which will offer me a livable wage, there is no point in moving down the country for a job that only offers 2 or 3 hours of work a week, regardless, despite my applying, ive had no luck.

With regards to interviewing candidates, I dont see how interviews can help employers determine if someone will be good at their job or not. Interviews are nerve wrecking at the best of times and for some more than others, some people literally freeze and cant construct a sentence due to nerves. Its in no way indicative of someones intelligence or ability to work well, all it shows is someones ability to talk about themselves and what they can do. Id be much more interested in seeing examples of work, either college work or professional if they have the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What is your degree and postgrad? I can't find it in your post (maybe I missed it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I answered the questions as best I could but for some of them, I had to be honest and admit to the interviewers that I have not yet had the opportunity to gain experience in that area.
    I wonder if this is where you are going wrong. Did you follow this up with examples of similar experience you have, you know how to find this answer out or back it up with theory (hard to be specific when you haven't explained your area)? It shows the interviewers that you understand the question and although you haven't done whatever they are asking, you show how you will figure it out or how you have done similar in the past.
    Can you do some unpaid volunteer work in the area to brush up on skills? This would also help with networking.

In terms of not getting interviews, can you have someone proof read your CV or application forms? There are a lot of errors in your posts and this would put some employers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As mentioned Degrees have become standard so thats the bare minimum now days.

Its also the age old problem with getting a job out of college. You cant get a job without experience and you cant get experience without a job.

Ultimately you need to keep trying and get your foot in the door somewhere for a significant period of time (1+ years) then you will have a much easier time finding better positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If the op has had to do significant volunteer or unpaid work, or internship type placements then the career they want to get in to is a highly popular area and very oversubscribed jobs in the 'media' would be an example. Teaching is another area where it's hard to get a full-time job, on the other hand, I know someone with a masters in a Stem subject who when straight into a very good job after thay graduated.

The thing to do is to give themselves x amount of time 2 years 3 years whatever and if at that stage they still have not cracked it, do something else.

Blaming employers and nepotism is not good for their mental health.

Advertisement