Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting venue deposit back

Options
  • 19-08-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

So we booked a venue back in October 2018 for March 2020 and paid deposit of 1500e. In January 2019 we had to change our wedding plan due to family circumstances and other personal reasons. We informed the venue straight away and they advised that if another wedding was booked for our date then they would return the deposit. That was no problem and I wasn't too concerned as I thought surely with 14 months to go, another wedding would book in (the venue is in Kildare so would've thought popular enough).

However, it's now August and there's still no booking for our previous date. With less than 7 months to go, it's looking less and less likely the date will be booked. Now I completely understand that we signed a contract and paid the deposit accepting the terms and conditions and we knew we risked losing the deposit by changing the plan. If nothing can be done and no one books the date, I accept that and amn't going to kick up a fuss over it. At the same time though, 1500e isn't a small amount of money and given that we gave so much notice to the venue (14 months), I'm wondering what are others views on this and whether it's at all worth asking for the money back??

I know I probably don't have any legal leg to stand on, but I'm also a bit of a pushover so really just looking for views on what others would do in this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Are you able to transfer your deposit to a different date in the same venue or have you cancelled your plans altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Depends on the term of your agreement with the venue.

Had you insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Are you able to transfer your deposit to a different date in the same venue or have you cancelled your plans altogether?

We cancelled those plans altogether and are now getting married in a much smaller venue in a few weeks.
    Addle wrote: »
    Depends on the term of your agreement with the venue.

Had you insurance?

Yes, we had insurance. However, while we had valid reasons for changing our plans, I don't think any of them are covered under insurance, especially given we cancelled 14 months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Maybe you can advertise the venue yourself and agree to split the deposit with the new couple?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

hanaimai wrote: »
    However, it's now August and there's still no booking for our previous date. With less than 7 months to go, it's looking less and less likely the date will be booked.
    I wouldn't panic just yet. The "booking season" is coming around again so there's a good chance your venue will get a booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Addle wrote: »
    Maybe you can advertise the venue yourself and agree to split the deposit with the new couple?

That's a great idea. Couples may not think to ask for a date that's less than a year away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Redser87 wrote: »
    That's a great idea. Couples may not think to ask for a date that's less than a year away

mrs silver and I got married in a hotel, we asked for bank holiday august weekend 2 years hence, they said sure. booked. 3 weeks later they rang and said this years august w/e had come free due to a cancellation as bride had developed a bump. IYKWIM.

That gave us 4 months notice. We took 5 minutes to think about it and went for it, rang them back and ask what was included They gave us a ton of concessions, free extra rooms, penthouse suites, next day BBQ that we would have had to pay for if we went for 2 years later. done it. worked out great.

Theres a couple of facebook groups which a lot of brides frequent, "help Im getting married". Id suggest advertising it there.

Advertisement