Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apoquel for allergies

Options
  • 18-08-2019 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had any experience with this for treating allergies/itching in a dog? She's only been on it since this morning but she's been off form all day. It's meant to be quite fast acting but it does list vomiting as a side effect and she has been sick. I'm just cautious as if I give her the next dose tomorrow morning she'll be on her own in the house if she gets sick. I'm not bothered about cleaning it up, I just rather she wasn't alone.
    My vet is off till next Friday but I'm just wondering if the vomiting will continue.
    The flip side is that she's tormented with itching and scratching and definitely needs something.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As someone who has been dealing with a breed prone to horrendous itchy skin for years now, I've seen my fair share of treatments.
    No doubt about it, Apoquel is great stuff, not only because it works and works well for most dogs, and is not as inclined to cause side effects as other treatments. Things like vomiting tend to be quite transient, so stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

DBB wrote: »
    As someone who has been dealing with a breed prone to horrendous itchy skin for years now, I've seen my fair share of treatments.
    No doubt about it, Apoquel is great stuff, not only because it works and works well for most dogs, and is not as inclined to cause side effects as other treatments. Things like vomiting tend to be quite transient, so stick with it!

That's what I'm hoping. She's been literally stuck to me all day, actually climbing into my arms for cuddles, and she normally doesn't do cuddles.
    But she's the saddest most pitiful looking creature when she vomits and she always looks for reassurance when she's sick. Hate leaving her, but no way out of it. I'll give her the next one in the morning and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

have our little mixed grill molly on it for the last few years shes 5kg

started off 1/2 tablet morning and night shes on the 5.4 mg so 2.7 at each dose

started this way for a week shes now on 1/2 tablet daily she never had side effects thank god how big / small is your doggy

maybe discuss with vet about above way of treatment

jimf wrote: »
    have our little mixed grill molly on it for the last few years shes 5kg

started off 1/2 tablet morning and night shes on the 5.4 mg so 2.7 at each dose

started this way for a week shes now on 1/2 tablet daily she never had side effects thank god how big / small is your doggy

maybe discuss with vet about above way of treatment

She's 7kgs, but currently trying to get a little bit off her. 5.5kgs would be ideal for her. She's on 1 tablet morning and evening for 10 days, I'm not sure how high a dose that is. This is only day 2. The vet said 10 days to get her to therapeutic levels, and then it will be reduced.
    I'm hoping that once the itching etc clears up, that we'll be able to get her off them. I don't particularly want her on medication long-term, although the vet seems to think it's more than likely just seasonal
    Really wish I was at home now with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

Recliner wrote: »
    She's 7kgs, but currently trying to get a little bit off her. 5.5kgs would be ideal for her. She's on 1 tablet morning and evening for 10 days, I'm not sure how high a dose that is. This is only day 2. The vet said 10 days to get her to therapeutic levels, and then it will be reduced.
    I'm hoping that once the itching etc clears up, that we'll be able to get her off them. I don't particularly want her on medication long-term, although the vet seems to think it's more than likely just seasonal
    Really wish I was at home now with her.

its awful there like babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Dealt with many dogs on Apoquel as well as one of my own dogs, and experienced no side effects from it. My own dog has done really well on it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Dealt with many dogs on Apoquel as well as one of my own dogs, and experienced no side effects from it. My own dog has done really well on it.

I'm hoping the vomiting won't be long term, not much point in her taking it and then throwing up anyway. So I'll see how she is when I get home.

I'm hoping the vomiting won't be long term, not much point in her taking it and then throwing up anyway. So I'll see how she is when I get home.

She's not taking any other medication is she? Is she getting her table with food and not on an empty stomach?

One of my Shelties did really bad on a pain medication, vomiting was a big problem with it, he's quite a sensitive dog, but he's had no issues with Apoquel.

VonVix wrote: »
    She's not taking any other medication is she? Is she getting her table with food and not on an empty stomach?

One of my Shelties did really bad on a pain medication, vomiting was a big problem with it, he's quite a sensitive dog, but he's had no issues with Apoquel.

She got it with a little piece of ham, but other than that on an empty stomach. She didn't eat a thing yesterday anyway. On no other medication.

She got it with a little piece of ham, but other than that on an empty stomach. She didn't eat a thing yesterday anyway. On no other medication.

What is she throwing up? Bile?

I'd say get something into her tummy that you know isn't going to trigger allergies but is going to be appetizing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement