Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most funny/embarrassing Christmas story

Options
  • 18-08-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm writing an article on 'How to survive your family over Christmas'. Does anyone have any stories of the worst, most awkward, embarrassing things their family has done at Christmas?

family friendly ones please. like "well that happened" stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My mam has a particular favourite Christmas decoration that she's absolutely obsessed with, it has serious sentimental value as well. A few years ago I accidentally knocked it and broke it, and in my haste to fix it before her noticing, I accidentally superglued it to my hand.

I ended up in A&E with a reindeer stuck to the palm of my hand, and needless to say, she found out that I had broken it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My Dad was getting really annoyed one year how long it was taking him to cut through the final layer of chocolate on the Vienetta...

The tray. He was trying to cut through the tray.

That must be 30 years ago now and it's STILL the joke when desert comes out on Christmas Day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

Not too exciting a story but still get reminded of it regularly...

A few years ago we sat down to the feast mam had slaved over all day. Everyone was enjoying the perfectly cooked turkey etc when I loudly proclaimed "The beans are amazing!"...beans...Heinz beans...poor mam didn't know whether to laugh or cry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I stole baby jesus from the cribb and replaced him with an army man as a wee lad. I also forgot when I had put the baby jesus. He was never found and the army stayed for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Didnt happen to me but happened to a friend of mine (genuinely), he worked in the fruit & veg dept of a supermarket & had been given a large tin of roses by one of the suppliers as a gift in the run up, he had been keeping it in the fruit & veg storeroom & thought he had it hidden well, but the other lads in the section copped it & had been helping themselves to roses for a few weeks to the stage they had emptied the thing, so rather than have him cop it was empty they filled it with brussels sprouts & resealed it.

He never copped & decided on christmas day he'd give the roses to his inlaws as a gift with a big gesture of how hard it had been to get a huge 5kg tin of roses. After dinner they decided to open their 'gift' & lo & behold out came some mouldy rotten sprouts.

We only found out because I used to go out with his sister in law and she told us about it afterwards, apparently he was mortified. We cracked up laughing as he most definitely wasn't the type to see the funny side to it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My sister was introducing her new fiancé to the assembled tribe at Christmas.
    We were all warned to be on our best behaviour, keep the best side turned out and hide our true eccentricity, etc.
    Sat down to a fine feast: my mother took up a serving spoon and announced
    "Owing to mis-calculation, there's a maximum of two sprouts each!"

Sister was morto, but the boyfriend laughed his head off and they're still married.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It was after Christmas and I was in the church with my mother and the priest and other people were there and I shouted out load why was there a cowboy in the crib.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

A few days before Christmas, my little sister was playing under the stairs and started messing with the central heating controls. She ended up cranking it up to full and knocking off the timer function so the rads were on full blast 24/7. With all the build up to Christmas, nobody thought to question why the house was absolutely boiling.

On Christmas morning when we were handing out the presents, we discovered the tree was absolutely dessicated by the heat (it was a real tree) and the act of us rummaging under it knocked virtually all the needles off. The photos of Christmas dinner that year show us all sitting down for a feast next to a giant decorated stick in a pot. It was the only year the tree was taken down before New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

Great stories thank you very much for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Great stories thank you very much for them

Here here, given me a good laugh reading them. Our Christmas' have been very boring!

• Advertisement
Advertisement