Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for Christmas

Options
  • 18-08-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Right so the girlfriend wants a new phone for Christmas. Requirements
    - headphone jack
    - fm radio
    - very good camera (front facing selfie one doesn't matter)
    - less than 5.8"

Thought I found the ideal one, pixel 3a, but it doesn't have an fm radio it seems.
    Any suggestions? When are new phones released, is there a season as such between now and Christmas that better options may appear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Just use a radio app with the 3a?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Pacifico wrote: »
    Just use a radio app with the 3a?

She is on a tight data limited plan, and doesn't want to switch (as it's cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Galaxy S10e

no particular season for phone releases. they are spread out over the year these days. more released in the first half of the year than the second half.

what is your budget?

it's not the screen size that you talk about anymore really more than the overall phone dimensions. as some phones have much bigger screen-to-body ratios than other phones e.g. could have a bigger screen (measured on the diagonal) but be a smaller phone overall.

the pixel 3a probably the option that meets most of the criteria tbh.

strange that it doesn't have the radio enabled (it's in the hardware and there is a headphone jack which is required for aerial). could be enabled down the line or by modding.

glasso wrote: »
    no particular season for phone releases. they are spread out over the year these days. more released in the first half of the year than the second half.

what is your budget?

it's not the screen size that you talk about anymore really more than the overall phone dimensions. as some phones have much bigger screen-to-body ratios than other phones e.g. could have a bigger screen (measured on the diagonal) but be a smaller phone overall.

the pixel 3a probably the option that meets most of the criteria tbh.

strange that it doesn't have the radio enabled (it's in the hardware and there is a headphone jack which is required for aerial). could be enabled down the line or by modding.

Yeah ideally the pixel 3a suited, just about affordable but no fm radio kills it. Won't be doing any modding etc.

The S10e looks good, if a bit on the pricey side. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if ye can think of any other options!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Here is everything that meets your spec:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&fDisplayInchesMax=5.7&nCamPrimMin=10&chk35mm=selected&chkFMradio=selected&s4Gs=3,20

162 Phones. 165 if you drop the headphone requirement.

I put in a min of 10MP, whether its actually a decent camera you'll have to dig in. There are 12MP cams that are excellent and 20MP that are trash so filtering via resolution isnt helpful.

6 if you require OIS
    https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&fDisplayInchesMax=5.7&nCamPrimMin=10&chkCameraOIS=selected&chkFMradio=selected&s4Gs=3,20

LG G6 might be a decent option but its already out of date. You go sub 5.8" thats probably what you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Lu Tze wrote: »

The S10e looks good, if a bit on the pricey side. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming if ye can think of any other options!

459 at the moment and dropping by the week.

Adverts, sealed sim free brand new, I just bought one last week. What's your budget?

rizzee wrote: »
    459 at the moment and dropping by the week.

Adverts, sealed sim free brand new, I just bought one last week. What's your budget?

Where did you see it for €459?

I would probably go to €400, if I can tick all the boxes and it's a decent phone overall. Unfortunately I do need the headphone jack and radio. Maybe the pixel 3a will add it in the next update. The mi 9se seems to have everything as well bar the headphone jack. I have until christmas, so prices may drop or other option appear.

The honor 10 seems to be well reviewed and meet the criteria with a headphone jack, but also doesn't seem to have an fm radio.

Advertisement