Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave

Options
  • 17-08-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Ok so we're due our first child the middle of November and have a few questions

With Paternity leave extended for 4 weeks from November im going to take advantage of this..

I understand i need to pick a date for this to start with my employer. What if the baby doesnt come for 10 days after this date? can i postpone this leave or what way does it work?Are employers generally ok for it to begin when the baby arrives?

Do i need to take the 4 weeks together?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Ok so we're due our first child the middle of November and have a few questions

With Paternity leave extended for 4 weeks from November im going to take advantage of this..

I understand i need to pick a date for this to start with my employer. What if the baby doesnt come for 10 days after this date? can i postpone this leave or what way does it work?Are employers generally ok for it to begin when the baby arrives?

Do i need to take the 4 weeks together?

Thanks in advance

You should in the first place note that at this point, the extension to 4 weeks is nothing more than a Government intent/commitment. The law has not yet been changed. In fact, so far, the Government has only published a General Scheme of a Bill. It hasn't even published a final Bill for consideration by the Oireachtas. Hopefully they make the 1st November commitment but there is no guarantee of that. The earliest a bill can be introduced to the Oireachtas is mid September and it then has to be debated and passed by both the Seanad and the Dáil, with agreement on any amendments etc. It then needs to be signed into law by the President and further to that regulations have to be Signed into law by the relevant Minister. I'd imagine thst regulations will be drafted as the Bill progresses.

At the moment the General Scheme appears to suggest that the proposed number of parental leave can be taken in minimum blocks of 1 week. See Head 3 below.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/General_Scheme_of_the_Parental_Leave_and_Benefit_Bill_2019.pdf/Files/General_Scheme_of_the_Parental_Leave_and_Benefit_Bill_2019.pdf

At the moment it is uncertain as to what the final arrangements will be and whether there will be an flexibility provided to employers in terms of administration of the leave arrangements.

In terms of notification to your employer. 4 weeks written notice of intent to take the leave is required. The earliest leave can commence is the date of birth. You can amend the leave request is necessary and postpone (Head 9).

As mentioned though the finer detail will be worked through in the Oireachtas and in regulations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Talk to your employer re:the due date.They will have a way to work with it, maybe you just put in a start date as the due date and then let them know when the baby actually arrives and they should adjust their system internally as needed I think.
    As regards how you take it, I would sggest also talking to your employer about it.
    Note that you have to have a public services card to apply for paternity leave(or at least ypu did until recently), so check that out if you don't have one already.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

You will be entitled to two weeks paid paternity leave as it stands now.

If the legislation comes in in time before your baby is born then you'd also be entitled to two weeks parental leave.

Some company top up paternity or maternity leave, others don't and you'd only get the state benefit. Think its 245 a week. You'd be best to check that with your employer now.

You could just give the due date but say you could have to go earlier or later as Shesty said..

Advertisement