Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biol/Ag Science combinationTCD must have other subject.

Options
  • 17-08-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Just something that I’ve been made aware of regarding small print in TCD requirements which may catch someone out. There was a case of someone doing Biol & Ag science as two options . Decided to drop 7th subject during year. Got points for TCD course but no offer. Apparently TCD count both Biol and Ag Science for points but not as one of the 6 required subjects ( they said there is ‘overlap’) . This is for entry to ALL TCD courses. If you do Biol & Ag Science make sure you sit 7 subjects. Might only effect one person next year but just to be aware. Many Career G teachers didn’t know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Deep_learning

Good post, xraylady.

What you is certainly true* and not that well-publicised.

*Just in case anyone doubts it:
    https://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/admission-requirements/undergraduate/
    Biology and agricultural science may not be presented as two of the six subjects required for minimum entry purposes, and they may not be presented together to satisfy course specific requirements. However, both may be used for scoring purposes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

xraylady wrote: »
    Just something that I’ve been made aware of regarding small print in TCD requirements which may catch someone out. There was a case of someone doing Biol & Ag science as two options . Decided to drop 7th subject during year. Got points for TCD course but no offer. Apparently TCD count both Biol and Ag Science for points but not as one of the 6 required subjects ( they said there is ‘overlap’) . This is for entry to ALL TCD courses. If you do Biol & Ag Science make sure you sit 7 subjects. Might only effect one person next year but just to be aware. Many Career G teachers didn’t know.

That is absolutely astonishing, and I reckon vulnerable to a legal challenge. Trinity, like other universities, has nominal entrance requirements. Most people are aware of the requirement to pass Maths, English and a language, but less well-known is the requirement to achieve passes in six subjects, with marks of at least 50% in three of them at higher-level. This is surely because only in rare circumstances could a student meet the much more onerous points requirements yet fail to meet the minimum requirements (which I presume are a legacy of when it was much easier to get into university). Allowing applicants to count both Biology and Ag Science for scoring purposes, the real determinant of entrance, but not for minimum requirements is illogical and unfair. I really hope anyone who fell foul of it has the ability and drive to appeal it.

An indication of how paltry the minimum requirements are is that universities allow you to combine the results of sittings to satisfy them. That person needs only to sit and pass one ordinary-level subject next year to satisfy the requirement.

Advertisement