Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Caravan for time - guidelines?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. I’m about to buy a second hand caravan for the first time and I don’t have a clue really what to look out for. Is there a place/link for some guidance or a list of things to look out for? Sorry if this has been posted a million times before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What are you going to tow it with is it up to it.
    Is it the layout you need.
    How old is it.
    Where was it stored in the winter
    How many owners
    Any repairs
    Ceck for damp if there is walk
    If you decide to buy get them to show you every thing working

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Look at lots of different layouts and see what you would use best.

Get a cheap damp meter, they are easy to use, damp is the real enemy.
    Floor integrity is important, it shouldn’t be soft or spongy feeling, lay down and look under it should look clean and solid with no pieces tearing off.

As above, have them show you everything working, don’t listen to any waffle, it only takes a few minutes to show everything working.

As above get to know the towing capacity of your car. All caravans have a stamp showing their weight, make sure any Van your looking at isn’t too heavy for your car.
    www.whattowcar.info is a great website to show towing capacity of cars and there is a feature to match your car to any caravan to see if it is a good match for towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Quick question regarding the winter storage. I hadn’t considered that and I wouldn’t really have a place to store over those months. I live in Dublin and my home farm in Galway has been sold apart from a 3 acre field and that is where I was planning on leaving it for the most part (an attempt to keep a connection to the old home place/community). Is it very important to house it over the winter? A neighbouring farmer may be able to help in that regard if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Quick question regarding the winter storage. I hadn’t considered that and I wouldn’t really have a place to store over those months. I live in Dublin and my home farm in Galway has been sold apart from a 3 acre field and that is where I was planning on leaving it for the most part (an attempt to keep a connection to the old home place/community). Is it very important to house it over the winter? A neighbouring farmer may be able to help in that regard if so.
    i would say yes if you wanted to get the maximum life span out of it.

Advertisement