Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat pooed in house mates bedroom

Options
  • 17-08-2019 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

My cat is 5, ive had him since he was a kitten, he was very easy to litter train and would only go in his tray or outside, he has never pooed or peed in the house, he will literally hold it until he can either get outside or get to his tray. When he broke his leg a few years ago I had to carry him to his tray as he wouldnt poo or wee anywhere else, I was expecting him to go on the floor but he'd hold it.

The other morning at about 4am, he got up out of bed, went into my housemates bedroom, pooed on the floor and walked straight back out of the room and went back to bed.

Later that day he got sick on the floor in another part of the house. He is ok now, appetite is normal.

Can anyone explain this behavior? Its very unusual for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Any sudden change of behaviour should have vet check to rule out something physical

Was it definitely poo? Not a hairball? (They can look very like poop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Thanks for replies

It was definitely a poo.

Ive been keeping an eye on him, theres no other changes in his behavior and he hasnt done it again, if I notice anything ill bring him to the vet but for now, I really think he's ok health wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Pooed and vomited means he was sick. Like humans they can pick up a bug, be unwell for 24 hours and then be fine again. Give him plenty of water and keep a good eye on him to make sure it's nothing more than that. Vet only if it happens again IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

If he got out of bed, went somewhere 'strange' to poo - out of character behaviour - went straight back to bed, and vomited that day too, it sounds to me like he was unwell. As you say, hasnt happened again, and he;s eating well - I would say a sickie, and as long as he's eating and drinking and behaving normally he's gotten over whatever it was.

Maybe keep roommates door closed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Is the roommate new? Has the litterbox changed location or are you using a different litter than usual?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement