Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Sound awful, what options?

Options
  • 16-08-2019 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I was about to invest in a new TV but thought I might ask the question. Have a 48". It does the job but the sound has got gradual worse over the last 3 months. Not just me getting older as everyone having a problem. Can have it to max setting and still very low.

I was wondering if I buy a sound bar and connect will the improve the sound?

I dont want to spend major bucks as will probably end up buying a TV in next 12 months anyway and move this to bedroom but just something to make it easier to hear. Any idea's? what does the sound bar connect into on the back etc? Thansk

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

First check the audio settings on the tv - many have different settings including one which boosts the sound of voices, try in case the settings have been changed inadvertently.

If this makes no differences you could consider a sound bar, but I’d want to get a good demo before I’d buy.

There are audio out connections on the back of your tv, and matching audio inputs on a sound bar - if yiyre unfamiliar with this kind of kit, bring a picture of the connections on your tv with you when you go to buy and if the shop doesn’t explain clearly to you how to connect them up, you should buy elsewhere.

If all fails come back here for advice, but yiyre better off getting it sorted out before hand.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Be willing to think laterally - everyone talks about sound bars but a good budget option are Creative desktop speakers I have these which are so much better than the inbuilt speakers and are cheap. If you need more watts or boxes you can get variations on this theme.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Gigaworks-Multimedia-Speaker-Black/dp/B001E5PJ5Q

These ones connect to the sat box rather than the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Ritz wrote: »
    First check the audio settings on the tv - many have different settings including one which boosts the sound of voices, try in case the settings have been changed inadvertently.

If this makes no differences you could consider a sound bar, but I’d want to get a good demo before I’d buy.

There are audio out connections on the back of your tv, and matching audio inputs on a sound bar - if yiyre unfamiliar with this kind of kit, bring a picture of the connections on your tv with you when you go to buy and if the shop doesn’t explain clearly to you how to connect them up, you should buy elsewhere.

If all fails come back here for advice, but yiyre better off getting it sorted out before hand.

Ritz.

I must have a look but I think the speakers are dying....it seems ok sometimes and then low....you can still hear but it is just not great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Would be perfect as the room is 10m x 5m but I just wouldn't have the time to wire it all up.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Go into TV menu & check audio settings...

Failing that, buy a sound bar from Argos.

Advertisement