Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance

Options
  • 16-08-2019 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hey,

We have very good health insurance with day to day cover for me and my husband (needed and used regularly for health issues with both of us). However we don't need the same level of cover for the children. Is it possible to have children on a different plan to the adults? I didn't think of it in time to ring VHI today. Will buzz them tomorrow anyways, just curious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Hey,

We have very good health insurance with day to day cover for me and my husband (needed and used regularly for health issues with both of us). However we don't need the same level of cover for the children. Is it possible to have children on a different plan to the adults? I didn't think of it in time to ring VHI today. Will buzz them tomorrow anyways, just curious

We do - we’re with laya, I’m assuming it’s the same with others

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is yeah.it's something that is advised to save money, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Great. Should mean that we don't see an increase this year then which would be great with two going into creche!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Yes, with VHI you can have the children on a different plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

You don’t even have to have them with same company. We are with Irish life and the lads are VHI

Another question though derail alert. Is there any point having health insurance for children? We are going through a lot at present and it doesn’t seem to be of any use at all as everything is public. One of my boys is getting a medical card so I’m wondering whether it’s worth renewing.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Another question though derail alert. Is there any point having health insurance for children? We are going through a lot at present and it doesn’t seem to be of any use at all as everything is public. One of my boys is getting a medical card so I’m wondering whether it’s worth renewing.

I used to wonder about this too, but then one of the kids started having health problems and I was very glad of the insurance, particularly for the shorter waiting time to see a Consultant and try to get a diagnosis. My older kid isn't free at the GP anymore so it's useful for claiming back for GP visits, and for dental check ups, but not much else but I'm still glad I have it there, after seeing how useful it is for my other child.
    If you are getting a medical card though, it might be time to reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My kids have always been on a higher plan than me with the best outpatient reimbursements I could afford, until this year as thankfully we aren’t spending even half as much time in and out of doctors now.

Health insurance is absolutely worth it for kids. Take a routine cardiology appt: 18 months publicly, 4 weeks privately. Immunology 3 months privately vs 2.5 years publicly. ENT appts a few weeks vs 2 years for things like grommets. Paediatrician access can be same day or months publicly. Ophthalmology 1 week vs 4 months. If it’s very serious then no it’s not necessary but I would not be without it, and we have often sacrificed a lot to pay for it. It’s not right or fair mind you but it is our experience that it is absolutely worth having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You don’t even have to have them with same company. We are with Irish life and the lads are VHI

Not having them with the same company is a new one on me.
    They were never willing to take kids on their own before.
    I assume you're not availing of a free kids policy ?
    We are with cornamrket and Irish life.
    Admin charge last year for cornmarket but the discount we got covered it and a bit more.

It’s a half price policy. Kids were only free for first year.

We are actually waiting on both cardiology and ENT. I never thought to mention to paediatrician that we had insurance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We are on a different plan to our kids, although under the same insurance provider.It can be done no bother.For example last time I renewed I wanted a plan that gave me semi-private maternity cover, but my kids don't need that, so they got a different one.

Mind you, my husband doesn't need that either, but that distinction doesn't seem to be possible, if you want a certain cover level as an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

its one of those things that you could maybe cancel and never miss it, but could possibly regret too. I’ve never used it for any of my kids, but a friends daughter was having recurrent tonsillitis for ages. I think publicly she’d have waited a couple of years to have her tonsils out, because it wasn’t urgently. She brought her to see an ent privately and they were out within a week. You could look at paring back your plan to save money, I have no day to day stuff for my kids, but I like to have some access to private services just in case!

Ok I’ll keep it and mention to paediatrician that we have it next time. It doesn’t cost much at all but I wasn’t sure there was any benefit to having it. Health system here is hard to figure out. I’m still not sure what difference medical card will make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Medical card will stop you having to pay for GP and no cost on meds just a dispensing charge think it’s around €2 approx. Other than that no difference really in navigating hospital or accessing services. You also won’t have to pay the hospital in patient charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How it works in this life is you pay your insurance and you’ll most likely be wasting your money for years and years before you’ll ever need it. Stop paying it/not buying it and you’ll get very sick and be dealing with the disaster that is the HSE. One of life’s little ironies.

How it works in this life is you pay your insurance and you’ll most likely be wasting your money for years and years before you’ll ever need it. Stop paying it/not buying it and you’ll get very sick and be dealing with the disaster that is the HSE. One of life’s little ironies.

Sure this is it

Advertisement