Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridesmaid speech

Options
  • 16-08-2019 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I’m maid of honour/chief bridesmaid for my friend’s wedding in a few weeks. Never been a bridesmaid before so all the rules and responsibilities are a bit new to me. I said a while ago that I would be happy to make a speech, but the bride just said “ah no you don’t need to”. I wouldn’t be a great public speaker so I think she might just have assumed I wouldn’t really want to and not wanted to put pressure on me. But I’m wondering if I should offer again? She’s still not sure herself if she’ll be making a speech and I think it would be nice for one of the girls to say something! Having said that, I wouldn’t be confident my speech would be good so maybe I should just leave it! Any thoughts/advice? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s up to the bride, not you, so it doesn’t really matter whether you think you should do one or not! It’s not traditional for bridesmaids to speak (I say with 100% awareness of the ridiculousness of that) so if the bride is having a traditional speech pattern, you wouldn’t speak at all and nor would she.

I’d say leave it and if she wants it, she’ll ask. Saying anything to her could make you seem demanding or like you are putting pressure on her to give you the microphone. And generally, the fewer speeches, the better as far as guests are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’ve never been to a wedding where a bridesmaid spoke even if the bride did. As Faith said, it’s up to the bride, mentioning it again will just put her in an awkward position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Your role on the night will be a busy one,
    Any cards gifts etc given to bride are to be safely put away (so they don't get lost or stolen), so between yourself and best man... You will be travelling from reception area to bridal suite or your own room or some other place repeatedly during the night.

It's also handy to have items that the bride might need during her night (she won't have a handbag, so little things like water spritz, air spray, deodorant, perfume, pantyliners - if needed)

I would also suggest you have a comfortable pair of shoes/slippers for the bride put aside, and possibly for yourself, once the dancing starts feet will get sore.

Chief bridesmaid is also in charge of the hen night, so you must arrange all of that (if other bridesmaids can help out it's fantastic)

Hope you enjoy the bridesmaid experience and the whole wedding experience.

Advertisement