Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect Android (4.4.2) tablet to windows laptop

Options
  • 14-08-2019 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am struggling to connect an android tablet to my windows pc. I definitely was able to do it in the past, albeit probably with an older laptop. I also tried an older laptop but no luck. Also tried a different USB cable but no joy. I have scoured the net but can't find a solution.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Comments

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks

I am struggling to connect an android tablet to my windows pc. I definitely was able to do it in the past, albeit probably with an older laptop. I also tried an older laptop but no luck. Also tried a different USB cable but no joy. I have scoured the net but can't find a solution.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

It's often a case of installing the correct drivers on the PC.

Just to clarify, what is the issue you're having? Does the tablet charge when connected? Is there any kind of response on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's often a case of installing the correct drivers on the PC.

Just to clarify, what is the issue you're having? Does the tablet charge when connected? Is there any kind of response on the PC?

The tablet charges alright but there’s no response whatsoever from the PC. Where would I be able to source the correct driver you mentioned?

The tablet charges alright but there’s no response whatsoever from the PC. Where would I be able to source the correct driver you mentioned?

You'd have to look online for the USB drivers, I wouldn't know exactly which ones you'd need.

When you connect, is there any kind of icon that appears in the status bar of the tablet? It might just be that it's in charging mode, and you can just switch it to MTP by clicking on the notification in the pulldown.

Have you tried turning on USB debugging on the tablet, to see if that makes a difference?

You'd have to look online for the USB drivers, I wouldn't know exactly which ones you'd need.

When you connect, is there any kind of icon that appears in the status bar of the tablet? It might just be that it's in charging mode, and you can just switch it to MTP by clicking on the notification in the pulldown.

Have you tried turning on USB debugging on the tablet, to see if that makes a difference?

This tablet is probably 5 or 6 years old and presumably android 4.4.2 is quite an old version of the software. I had already seen the suggestion about checking the status bar, MTP etc but I can’t seem to find it.

How do I turn on USB debugging?

This tablet is probably 5 or 6 years old and presumably android 4.4.2 is quite an old version of the software. I had already seen the suggestion about checking the status bar, MTP etc but I can’t seem to find it.

How do I turn on USB debugging?

Go to Settings > About phone > Hit Build number for 7 times until get a message “You are now a developer!” > Back to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging > Tap OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I had an old android tablet with this on it:

http://www.smarterdroid.com/index.php/wifi-file-transfer/overview

Got the pro version for 1 euro. It was handy to avoid using usb cables.

Go to Settings > About phone > Hit Build number for 7 times until get a message “You are now a developer!” > Back to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging > Tap OK.

Followed those instructions but the PC still doesn’t recognise the tablet. I’ll try to locate the driver. What I ultimately want to do is transfer a few videos from the PC onto the tablet

Followed those instructions but the PC still doesn’t recognise the tablet. I’ll try to locate the driver. What I ultimately want to do is transfer a few videos from the PC onto the tablet

You can try going to Settings > Developer Options then change default USB mode in there. MTP or File Transfer should be an option.

Failing that, there's other ways you could get the files across, such as using a cloud option, or sending it over WiFi, or using a USB stick with an OTG cable on your tablet.

You can try going to Settings > Developer Options then change default USB mode in there. MTP or File Transfer should be an option.

Failing that, there's other ways you could get the files across, such as using a cloud option, or sending it over WiFi, or using a USB stick with an OTG cable on your tablet.

Got sorted with Google Drive. Thanks for all the help

Advertisement