Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Cycling Trip North Spain

Options
  • 13-08-2019 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm planning a cycling trip to North Spain (San Sebastian region) but am unfamiliar with the area. We are scheduled to land in Biarritz and plan to finish up 4 days later in San Sebastian, as it stands we have no definitive plan.

Can anyone recommend routes/must-see sites around this part of the world? We are 3 novice cyclists that have a above average fitness levels

Furthermore we are debating on whether to take road bikes (with backpack only) or tour bikes (with Panniers). Can anyone confirm the best approach in this scenario? Any bike rental recommendations around this part of the world would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Panniers will be cooler on your body and not rushing is what a bike tour should be about.

I'd suggest following the twisty coastal roads and/or the eurovelo routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I've rented bikes from Basque Country Cycling in San Sebastian who I found great to deal with. I have GPX files of circular routes around SS if you're interested. Jaizkibel is a must and the back-road between Orio and San Sebastian is great too. If you go inland then the national parks are beautiful and incredibly quiet roads, but the cycling is tough with lots of climbing and a relatively slow road surface.

Would definitely recommend panniers over a backpack. Make sure you have low gears because some of the climbs are steep (I asked the bike rental guys to put a 32 tooth cassette on instead of the 28 that came as standard and it was no problem).

The weather can be pretty mixed in that part of the world so pack for all 4 seasons even in the middle of Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Backpack would be a no-no. Either panniers or a bikepacking setup. Or a small bag hung on the back of the saddle, plus a credit card.

If you really want panniers, but still want to ride your carbon bike, Tubus do an adaptor for your rear wheel that puts the weight on their specially-long skewer. Works ok.

Northern Spain - great places I saw last year: Going into the Rioja - Logrono (amazing food, lovely town), Victoria-Gasteiz (ditto), Pamplona (ditto), Sierra Cantabria (spelling may be off) - nice but limited range of hills. Further east - in the pyrneean foothills, the Ahusquy pass is a great ride. You might make the Col de Marie Blanche if you go East for 2 days and then back again. Serious TdF col - not the longest, but some steep bits! Strictly, that's France.

San Seb itself is pretty nice - make sure you've time to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Fabulous region for cycling. The Basques are totally passionate about the sport. I spent a few weeks based near Bilbao and thought it the best cycling holiday I have done.
    You will find very good, smooth roads, respectful drivers, cyclists who obey the rules fo the road etc.
    Be warned. The Basque region west of San Seb. is very hilly but the coastal strip is wonderful.
    Carry as little as you can. Be aware the region is famous for sudden rain showers, which explains the greenness of the place.
    Stop at a little cafe/bar (but not during siesta time 2-5pm) and enjoy the wonderful food and good coffee.
    San Sebastian itself is a delight in every way except when trying to park a car!
    Check out Strava routes etc.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

And shout aupa as you pass cyclists. I'm fairly sure if means hello but they could have all been saying a**hole for all I know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Happy memories.

Fiestas de la Virgen Blanca in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Possibly the best festival in all of Spain. Though you’ve probably missed it now for this year.

Menu del dia is the way to go for food. Great value food in small towns and villages, less so in major cities.

Advertisement