Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Winter

Options
  • 13-08-2019 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

HI Guys, what trends do you think will be popular this autumn winter? what pieces should I invest in?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Had a scope around the shops yesterday, lots of check and Burberry inspired tartans around. The usual AW combos of maroon and camel to be seen everywhere.

I think the midi skirts & dresses will stick around, especially the more full skirts (not slips). Sort of an extension of the prairie/western trend. To go with those, block heel boots. Saw a fabulous bottle green pair in LK Bennet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Not going to invest in AW items until I get back from my holiday at the end of September, but I'm personally trying not to be trend driven.

The last few years I've been investing in good coats and probably don't really need anything, but thats not to say I won't buy anything. I've bought myself a good black wool coat (Jager), camel coat (Hobbs) and a navy coat (LK Bennett). I also got 2 nice feather down puffy casual jackets in Massimo Dutti and a real leather jacket in Karen Millen. I should be good!

I'd like to invest in a few more nice items, maybe new jeans and wool/cashmere jumpers. Could also do with a pair of flat boots. Trying to invest in quality but buy less items. My black coat mentioned above will be going into its 3rd winter and I still love it.

That said, I was all about the causal midi dresses with trainers that were all in this summer, but thats basically the most comfortable trend ever so I was happy to embrace that one! You'll have to wrestle cotton midi dresses out of my cold dead hands.

I've loads of midi dresses from summer that I will look forward to bringing into the Autumn, there's tons you can put with them to cosy them up! I got a few tops like this last year https://www.asos.com/pullbear/pullbear-sheer-long-sleeved-top-in-black/prd/12886701?clr=black&colourWayId=16453817&SearchQuery=black%20sheer%20top One plain, one with black on black polka dots, a stripey one, they're dead handy for layering.

Benetton is great for wool or cashmere blend knitwear in loads of colours that won't break the bank.

I do try to buy well for Winter, like yourself Sozbbz, so this year what I really need is new every day boots and a raincoat/parka, as the ones I have are now done after a few years' noble service! I think I will also go all out and get the Commando faux leather leggings. I lived in a Zara ones last year but they're a bit tired looking after such constant wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I suspect most stuff in Celine a/w show will be copied to death. Heritage tweeds, knee high boots (heels), shearing jackets or coats, capes, blazers and aviators. And it seems heels are back.
    https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/celine/slideshow/collection#40

Anyway a nice blazer and pleated skirt is on my list. I need to update some jumpers, probably merino because I hate handwashing. I might buy a pair of oxblood or tan boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

Twee. wrote: »
    I've loads of midi dresses from summer that I will look forward to bringing into the Autumn, there's tons you can put with them to cosy them up! I got a few tops like this last year https://www.asos.com/pullbear/pullbear-sheer-long-sleeved-top-in-black/prd/12886701?clr=black&colourWayId=16453817&SearchQuery=black%20sheer%20top One plain, one with black on black polka dots, a stripey one, they're dead handy for layering.

Benetton is great for wool or cashmere blend knitwear in loads of colours that won't break the bank.

I do try to buy well for Winter, like yourself Sozbbz, so this year what I really need is new every day boots and a raincoat/parka, as the ones I have are now done after a few years' noble service! I think I will also go all out and get the Commando faux leather leggings. I lived in a Zara ones last year but they're a bit tired looking after such constant wear.

I'm the same with the mini dresses and long skirts. have a few that I'm looking forward to wearing jumpers underneath in winter. I love those mesh tops. they are great for layering underneath graphic tees. I'm going to get more turtlenecks for layering underneath dresses and t-shirts.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    I suspect most stuff in Celine a/w show will be copied to death. Heritage tweeds, knee high boots (heels), shearing jackets or coats, capes, blazers and aviators. And it seems heels are back.
    https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2019-ready-to-wear/celine/slideshow/collection#40

Anyway a nice blazer and pleated skirt is on my list. I need to update some jumpers, probably merino because I hate handwashing. I might buy a pair of oxblood or tan boots.

I would love a pair of knee high boots this year. Kept an eye out last year but didn't see anything I really wanted.

Twee. wrote: »
    I would love a pair of knee high boots this year. Kept an eye out last year but didn't see anything I really wanted.

Same, I'd love a real investment pair -leather with a block heal ideally, but not too high so I can actually walk.

My friend got a beaut pair in LK Bennett in Kildare Village last year. I'd have loved them but they didnt have my size.

My calves are the widest part of my body (as one of my friends once described it, I have footballer's legs) so any knee high boots have to be wide fitting. I got lovely ones from Duo and my get another pair before Brexit taxes make them even more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Looking at what to invest in this season too.

Had a meeting in work this week and one woman was wearing a cape. She just looked like a giant triangle with legs. They are hard to wear I would think.

I'm too short to pull them off. I think you need long slim legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have a lovely pair of flat,grey suede knee boots, they go with lots of things. This year I would love a nice pair of flat , leather black western boots, I think they would be good with dresses and jeans.
    Also a fake fur gilet to wear over dresses and polos or shirts in the winter.
    Have lots of leather jackets that i am looking forward to wearing again and I have a lovely wool tweed coat that is very in this year.
    Maybe I will get a pleated plaid mini to wear with black polo neck, but sometimes I think they can look cheap, so will have to search for a nice one.
    I also am thinking of investing in a pair of spanx Moto trousers , leather is supposed to be everywhere this year, however I want to lose some weight first.
    Lastly I’ve been looking at some fake leather pinafore style dresses that would be nice with shirt or jumper underneath, but again , could.be tacky!

Id really like to buy a pair of flat black lace up boots, like this, but not this :P

https://www.massimodutti.com/ie/women/lace-up-flat-ankle-boots-c1918514p8647718.html?colorId=800#

Massimo actually had a pair last season that I liked but couldnt get my size.

I'm not sure what it is that I don't like about these, maybe they're just a shade too plain but I'll know the right pair when I see them!

I've always had a good experience with Dune boots. My current go-to ankle boots are from Carvela, a bit more spendy but they did last me three winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

anewme wrote: »
    Looking at what to invest in this season too.

Had a meeting in work this week and one woman was wearing a cape. She just looked like a giant triangle with legs. They are hard to wear I would think.

Capes are gorgeous but you do need to either drape them like a toga or cinch them with a belt to avoid the Triangle Man look alright.

Apparently the big look this A/W will be 70s-style shapes and silhouettes (sounds a bit like the Celine collection mentioned above, I haven't actually checked out the pics yet). Palette is apparently going to lots of tans, burgundies etc. Which sucks for me as my entire winter wardrobe is black and 50 shades of grey. Oh well!

For those of you looking for boots, keep an eye on Aldo. I bought buttery-soft tan leather knee-highs with a high (but not sky high) block heel and a gold metallic cap on each toe there last year. I have yet to wear them without getting complimented. They always have gorgeous stuff.

Edit: yep, pretty much the Celine collection.

There should be quite a bit of black and grey around too. IRC Dior had a good bit and everyone pays attention to what Dior do lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Embossy

Autumn/Winter, for me it has to be a black leather fringed biker jacket, black Lycra leggings worn inside thigh high leather boots!

Advertisement