Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running ooy of petrol and keeping a can in the boot.

Options
  • 12-08-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

Have you ever run out of petrol while on a journey? How did you cope? Would you consider keeping a can of petrol in the boot as back up?

It can happen even to the most diligent but keeping a spare can in the boot seems to me dangerous and I could never see myself doing that. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've never done it, I always make a point of buying diesel when I've a quarter of a tank left. Helps if something unexpected gets planned.

Can of petrol, not a problem. Can of diesel, a big problem, because running out of diesel is much more of a pain in the neck that running out of petrol. Priming a diesel can still be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It may have insurance implications.

During the oil crisis in the 1970's, insurance companies took out adverts in newspapers warning people about storing fuel in their vehicles or at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't think this is really a thing. Are you new to driving?

My car beeps when there's 80km left in the tank but I'd imagine there's actually a bit more than that. I can't see ever being in a situation where I'm 80km from a petrol garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

That makes zero sense! Wait until you use up a bit of petrol after a fill... then go to the petrol station and add a can of petrol's worth to the tank.
    We live in Ireland, not australia. You'll always be within driving distance of a petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

antix80 wrote: »
    ..You'll always be within driving distance of a petrol station.
    But they may not be open.

For example, Northern Ireland in the small hours of the morning - very little open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The only people I see that tend to run out are those that fill up with a fiver.....

I've never ran out and that is even when moving vehicles to different places where they would be empty.... Was like playing russian roulette but I always seemed to win.... Now anyone getting in after us would have probably ran out the second it started...

I can't see any good reason for anyone to run out unless their gauge is faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Vapours of petrol will stink your car.

Never mind how volatile it is.

Was only reading a story recently about a woman who went for a nap in her car while between two of her four jobs (you can guess which country). She kept a can of petrol in the car in case of an emergency and ran out between jobs. Whatever happened, the can set alight and the car went ablaze. She perished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Danzy wrote: »
    Vapours of petrol will stink your car.

Never mind how volatile it is.
    I don’t even like bringing a can home in the car for the lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

The lack of discipline which allows you to run out of car tank petrol will soon envelope your back-up tank. You'll be in the same situation. Some brains were born to wing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My father in law was a bit of an oddball. He drove his car until it ran out of petrol, then put about a litre in from a gallon he can kept in the boot. Then he'd do the same thing again, until the can got low. Then he'd fill the can.. not the car, the can... and head off until he ran out of juice.

I'd often come across him at the side of the road putting petrol in the car, with the mother in law scowling in the passenger seat. It got to the stage where I just waved and kept on going. That was fine by him, and me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Addle wrote: »
    I don’t even like bringing a can home in the car for the lawnmower.

As far as I know, petrol shouldn't be stored in a plastic container either. Those plastic containers are just for getting the petrol home to your lawnmower. (in not accusing you of that, BTW)

Unless you're someone who likes playing chicken with your fuel tank and only drives in the middle of the night nowhere near civilization, there should be no need for a petrol tank. Are you on secret manoeuvres, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My father in law was a bit of an oddball. He drove his car until it ran out of petrol, then put about a litre in from a gallon he can kept in the boot. Then he'd do the same thing again, until the can got low. Then he'd fill the can.. not the car, the can... and head off until he ran out of juice.

I'd often come across him at the side of the road putting petrol in the car, with the mother in law scowling in the passenger seat. It got to the stage where I just waved and kept on going. That was fine by him, and me. :D

That reminds me of a fella I used to work with. His dad did very little mileage but always used to buy diesel fiestas (this was in the 90s)
    Someone told his dad that changing gear was very hard on fuel, so he would start in 2nd no matter what and block change to 4th ASAP.
    He used to regularly burn out clutches and never factored in this cost.
    Your man tried to convince him what he was doing was mad but there was no telling him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would assume that the hassle of carrying petrol around in the boot would far outweigh the minimal risk of running out of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

i would assume that the hassle of carrying petrol around in the boot would far outweigh the minimal risk of running out of petrol.

Could you even imagine the horror of what might happen to everyone in the car if it went up in an accident.
    Not worth it for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you can't keep the fuel in the tank , which has a visual gauge and usually a visual and audible warning when going low, how will you manage to keep fuel in can after the 1st time you use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's amazing how some people passed a driving testing. If you can't keep your car in petrol you shouldn't be in charge of several tons of metal going at quite a pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sorry i cant read the dials at 120kmh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why, does your car vibrate too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

No need in Ireland but I have done it in Australia and New Zealand. I have no problem carrying petrol in the boot for a boat engine or lawnmower once its in a decent container, whats the difference between a Jerry can and a petrol tank? - it's only in the movies that fuel explodes really easily. Myth Busters shot loads of different bullets through a petrol tank once and it was really difficult to get it to ignite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I've never run out of petrol, that's what fuel gauges are for. So you don't run out of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The amount of cars when in for servicing that store letters pens glasses up there is amazing and i remove them as one needs to read the clocks and any warning lights that flash.

Advertisement